Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook County no longer prosecuting possession of small amounts of marijuana

HAPPY 420!

The Cook County state's attorney's office says it is changing the way it prosecutes low-level drug offenses, including dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana cases.

"If someone is caught with a misdemeanor amount of marijuana, the state's attorney's office will no longer prosecute that case," office spokeswoman Sally Daly said Sunday. The program will cover people with fewer than three arrests or citations, she said.

The office will announce the changes at 10:15 a.m. Monday. Daly said they are part of an overhaul that will also address how the office prosecutes small amounts of such drugs as Ecstasy, cocaine and heroin.

The changes will include creation of an alternative prosecution program aimed at diverting nonviolent, repeat drug offenders out of the criminal justice system.

The program, designed for those charged with Class 4 felony possession — currently punishable by up to a $25,000 fine or one to three years in prison, or both — will attempt to address chronic drug use and addiction as a public health issue. Repeat offenders are expected to be linked with social service agencies for treatment rather than face criminal penalties.

The proposed changes will not affect pending cases, Daly said.

Last year, Class 4 felony drug possession cases made up about a quarter of all felony cases in Cook County. Prosecutors also saw more than 15,000 misdemeanor cases for small amounts of marijuana, according to the state's attorney's office.

"We potentially could ask for treatment for those cases," Daly said. "Currently, our big emphasis is pushing toward treatment."

In 2012, Chicago adopted a marijuana ordinance allowing police to issue tickets of $250 to $500 for someone caught with up to 15 grams of pot.

While the number of people found in possession of less than 15 grams of pot has remained stagnant from 2013 to 2014, police arrested 3,000 fewer people, opting for citations instead, Chicago police spokesman Martin Maloney said.

"The state's attorney's action is a welcome step . . . to reduce sentences for some offenses while focusing on the most dangerous gun crimes," he said.

Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart's office applauded the effort "to find a more productive approach to low level, nonviolent drug offenses."

Dan Linn, executive director of the Illinois National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, lauded the changes, noting the sizable racial disparity in the first year of implementing the ticketing ordinance, with more whites being ticketed and more minorities being arrested.

"It sets a certain tone with individuals because so many are afraid to interact with police and don't call police when they should," Linn said.

The announcement falls on what has become known as "Weed Day," a celebration of marijuana. Daly said the timing was "pure coincidence."

... slowly but surely (DONT CALL ME SHIRLEY )

Good news!

Oddly enough, I probably won't smoke today.

I mean, pretty much every day is "weed day" for me... if I choose.

Also, "Sally Daly"? I'll be very surprised if she's not a "Daly".
    To us, it is the BEAST.

strayans know whats up

skip to 1:20... that guy
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The announcement falls on what has become known as "Weed Day," a celebration of marijuana. Daly said the timing was "pure coincidence."
      Yeah, sure. "We were totally unaware that it's 4/20, or that the date is in any way meaningful to pot smokers." LOL.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

if only molly had a holiday

Comment

molly is a stupid nickname for a drug
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Agree.

I will admit this:

for a long time (up until a time more recent than I'd like to admit), I didn't realize ecstasy and molly were the same thing.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Raves are stupid. The music is terrible, and the associated culture is even more terrible.

Comment

tell us more... so fascinating
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

you know, mrfun has the reputation for being unfun

personally, I think you kucibros are more unfun than mrfun
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                    you know, mrfun has the reputation for being unfun

personally, I think you kucibros are more unfun than mrfun
                    No you don't. You think our taste in stuff like video games and moves is great.

Comment

dammit you are right

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

in other 420 news:

mcdonald's is testing all-day breakfast today

sausage mcmuffin with egg FTW
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

McDonals breakfast is vastly superior to normal McDonalds at all times of day. I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            molly is a stupid nickname for a drug
                            i would love to see you and reg on MDMA.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yes. I would pay to see that. Literally. $100 each.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X