Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be cool with your country being run by predatory child rapists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    This is not accurate. The house of lords can vote to suspend a member and have done so on several occasions with Lord Truscott and Lord Taylor.

As for the dementia part, despite how much I loathe anyone involved in these utterly hideous crimes, you can't try people who don't have the mental capacity to defend themselves. That's just how the justice system has to work.
    Too demented to be tried on court for his crimes ... but still mentally capable enough to give interviews
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      I always wanted a job like that.
      what, annoying someone just by showing up? If you're not annoying someone, you're doing it wrong.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
        (a) I have no idea.

(b) I don't care.

The mere fact that he can continue drawing an extremely healthy income at the taxpayer's expense simply by turning up is quite enough to incite my disapproval, let alone him having any input into legislation.
        Well, your country still having nobility is pretty ridiculous. The predatory child rapist thing seems a side issue.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          Too demented to be tried on court for his crimes ... but still mentally capable enough to give interviews
          Hey, I'm not sticking up for the ****er. Just saying that in principle dementia would rightly make someone unfit for trial.

Comment

How do you feel about trials in absentia?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If the person can choose to be present at the trial, but does not show up, that is different from being unable to understand the charges and unable to mount a defense.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Just saying that in principle dementia would rightly make someone unfit for trial.
                And taking any active role in the House of Lords.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  If the person can choose to be present at the trial, but does not show up, that is different from being unable to understand the charges and unable to mount a defense.
                  I'm not saying they are the same, but some countries allow the dead to be tried (or at least continue to be tried if they die whilst on trial)

Along a slightly unrelated note, but an interesting aside. Donald Miller Junior. Can he commit a crime and be immune from prosecution?
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Hey, I'm not sticking up for the ****er. Just saying that in principle dementia would rightly make someone unfit for trial.
                    Don´t want to imply you are.
                    It is just bizarre ... on the other hand too demented to go on trial ... on the other hand being still being considered (by the media) to be someone who would be a worthwhile interview partner regarding the current political situation in GB.
                    Even more bizarre of course that such a demented person is still allowed to decide on matters of importance in GB.

IMHO if a person is considered to be too demented to be tried on court this sounds to me like such a person should get appointed a custodian ... but at least be not allowed anymore to be in a position anymore where s/he is allowed/required to decide over other peoples fates
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                      I'm not saying they are the same, but some countries allow the dead to be tried (or at least continue to be tried if they die whilst on trial)

Reminds me of the Cadaver-Trial

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                        And taking any active role in the House of Lords.
                        No argument with that from me.

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                          what, annoying someone just by showing up? If you're not annoying someone, you're doing it wrong.
                          Oh I do that

A job where you get paid a lot to sit around and do nothing is what I always wanted.

I'm a long way from it. I was just in touch with someone by e-mail who is in a rogue republic in the Caucausus from my office on a remote Pacific island (don't ask). This is how I spend my sunday afternoons these days...
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            Well, your country still having nobility is pretty ridiculous. The predatory child rapist thing seems a side issue.
                            It honestly struck me as more efficient to have the blue-blooded aristocratic component of the government be confined to one arm of congress and not go through the farce of an election. Saves money and dignity that way. Of course, for all I know the "commons" simply come from a different set of over-moneyed dirtbags.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Predatory child rapists? No.

But what about the non predatory rapists? I suppose I'd have to know their stances on various issues first.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                                How do you feel about trials in absentia?
                                Quite uncomfortable to be honest. I don't see why they need to take place before the suspect is in custody, although I'm sure there are probably very good reasons relating to evidence/witnesses etc that could be lost if a trial didn't take place for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X