Strange meetings, small world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange meetings, small world

I've been in Australia for the past three weeks.

Last night I went to a family dinner.

My brother shows up with a lady named Rita, his new girlfriend.

I recognised her immediately. She was part of a close group of people I knew way back 25 years ago, including my closest school friends. She married one of them. She knew me too of course and we got talking about the old times toward the end of the evening.

I lost touch with those people right after my 10 year school reunion. My future wife arrived in Australia on the same night and attended that function. We settled in a different state and got busy with life.

After that reunion, it was a real fork in the road. I lost touch with everyone except for the occasional chance encounter. It turned into kind of like a clean break and then it became harder and harder to re-establish contact.

I lived in a different city, married, had children and went overseas a lot for years at a time. I never really came back home except to see my parents, never staying long. I'm still overseas now and probably will be away for a few years more.

Rita filled me in on where many of the old gang are now. It was very strange, but good to know my old friends from the formative years are okay. I'm not on Facebook and hard to find because of all the moves.

Most of them still live in the area I grew up. Some made good, a couple of girls from that group, Nikki and Simone, set up a fashion line called Zimmerman, which is well known. I had no idea.

This confirmed something I always suspected - if I retire where I grew up, my old friends will still be around. Someone will probably say, hey horsie, have you been away or something? Apparently some vaguely keep in touch with my movements through my brothers and sisters, who still live in the area.

If I know Rita she will get the word around I'm okay, which is good enough for now. She was always an organiser in the group. She has kept in touch with most people. I'm not good at that. Like a lot of nice parts of the world, to get ahead you have to go away. My life has been busy, always moving.

Rita said there may be a reunion soon. That would be fine.

I couldn't have stuck it out in the hometown for half a century but I could go back one day. That is good to know.

It was good to see Rita. It kind of smooths the way if I want to retire where I grew up, which is pretty cool
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; April 3, 2015, 08:21.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

that's cool horse. it's always nice to see someone who puts you in touch with your past.

i went back to the UK last year for a visit and it was great to see people again. some people had changed, different jobs, different partners, different lives; some had remained more or less the same.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I could never retire where I spent the 1st 12 years of my life. Too much of a cultural backwater and the weather is terrible.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Don't have that problem,

I grew up here - I found out from a work colleague recently that some of my old school friends still surf this break, Cronulla point, which is where only the best surfers go. Those waves are breaking straight onto the rocks. It is famous in the surfing world. Competitions are held there.

One of my old mates could be out there. People used to go surfing before going to school.

One of the area's better known local products Elle - the body - McPherson heading down for a paddle

Last edited by Alexander's Horse; April 3, 2015, 16:24.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

That's really awesome, Horse! Glad you were able to catch up with your friend.

I'm having kind of a rough time on that front right now. In the last month, two of my high school classmates committed suicide. I wasn't close friends with them, and hadn't spoken to them in years, but I feel very sad thinking that they aren't around anymore. Both of them were about to graduate from well-regarded universities, with honors, and seem to have had good jobs lined up, one at PwC and another I think at Unilever, but I don't remember for sure. I don't understand what leads people to make such tragic choices.

I got a job back in Northern Virginia because I really hate the idea of leaving. My intentions are to basically stay where I grew up. I'm wondering how many of my friends will do the same.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Horse, quite the neat story. I especially appreciate that the siblings are helping others keep tabs on you.

It's hard for me to "go home" because where I grew up was "all over" three states.

I guess I could say I've "stayed home" because I'm still in the Midwest but there are quite a few differences between Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota... I am where my wife and I plan to be for good though. I recall us even discussing if the stairwell of the house we bought was wide enough to eventually install those chair lift things when we "got on in years".

Sorry to hear about your peers HC.
            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              That's really awesome, Horse! Glad you were able to catch up with your friend.

I'm having kind of a rough time on that front right now. In the last month, two of my high school classmates committed suicide. I wasn't close friends with them, and hadn't spoken to them in years, but I feel very sad thinking that they aren't around anymore. Both of them were about to graduate from well-regarded universities, with honors, and seem to have had good jobs lined up, one at PwC and another I think at Unilever, but I don't remember for sure. I don't understand what leads people to make such tragic choices.

I got a job back in Northern Virginia because I really hate the idea of leaving. My intentions are to basically stay where I grew up. I'm wondering how many of my friends will do the same.
              Sorry to hear about your friends HC

Most of my friends chose to stay where we grew up. It's good choice if you like the place and can find employment.

This is for your friends HC.

Comment

Working...
              X