Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank

Brits joined the founding party, followed by the other large European countries.

US does not seem to be particularly pleased

In a rare public breach in the special relationship, the White House signalled its unease at Britain’s decision to become a founder member of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) by raising concerns about whether the new body would meet the standards of the World Bank.

The $50bn (£33.5bn) bank, which is designed to provide infrastructure funds to the Asia-Pacific region, is viewed with great suspicion by Washington officials, who see it as a rival to the World Bank. They believe Beijing will use the bank to extend its soft power in the region.

The White House statement reads: “This is the UK’s sovereign decision. We hope and expect that the UK will use its voice to push for adoption of high standards.”

George Osborne – who has discussed the decision to become a founder member of the investment bank with his US counterpart, Jack Lew – has been the driving force behind developing closer economic ties between Britain and China. The chancellor has led the way in encouraging Chinese investment in the next generation of civil nuclear power plants in the UK and he ensured that the City of London would become the base for the first clearing house for the yuan outside Asia.

The US administration made clear in no uncertain terms its displeasure about Osborne’s decision to join the AIIB. A US official told the Financial Times: “We are wary about a trend toward constant accommodation of China, which is not the best way to engage a rising power.”
    “The US did reach out to Australia, Koreans and others to consult about questions and concerns, and that’s been interpreted as leaning on allies not to join the bank,” said Goodman.

As the world’s second largest economy, China has grown increasingly frustrated that it does not have more influence at the IMF and World Bank, and sees little prospect of more say regarding the Japanese-backed Asia Development Bank.

I like the words of American counter argument the best.

Europe’s move was met with a warning of caution from the United States. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said Washington’s main concern was whether the bank would “adhere to the kind of high standards that the international financial institutions have developed”.

“Will it protect the rights of workers, the environment, will it deal with corruption issues appropriately?

Anyway - Chinese commies seem to be doing better at world domination than their Russian predecessors. No need to conquer anyone, make them join you instead.
    Attached Files
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

The imPortance of this thrade cKannot Be understated. It has gloBal-effecKting ramificKations that has literally changed not only my life, But millions of other lives of PeoPle that haven't even read it yet as well. I want to deePly thank the OP for making this thrade, and also thank him for the joy that this thrade has Provided to my future.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I love providing joy and happiness.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Another source for slush funds that never actually have to be paid back.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

When will Americans get over this perceived exceptionalism? If you don't want people making deals contra to our interests, give them an obvious better option or STFU.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Everyone expects China's economy to collapse and wants to be first in line to pick at the pieces.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Everyone expects China's economy to collapse and wants to be first in line to pick at the pieces.
              That makes no sense to me in the context of this thread topic.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
              X