Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make anti-LGBT businesses publicly post their policy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make anti-LGBT businesses publicly post their policy.

I think this is brilliant!

If businesses in Oklahoma want to discriminate against LGBT people, then compel them to publicly post their bigoted policy.

This is good for different reasons. One of which will save LGBT from any indignity from being denied any service, by giving them a forewarning and allowing LGBT people to make an informed decision beforehand, saving them from embarrassment and any grief.

I mean, if a business owner thinks they're so righteous in their hatred, and think they're taking some kind of "moral high ground," then wear it proudly on your sleeve.

Oklahoma Dem amendment: Christian businesses must post notice of anti-gay discrimination
    DAVID EDWARDS
    12 MAR 2015 AT 09:09 ET

Oklahoma Democratic state Rep. Emily Virgin wants Christian businesses to post a public notice of discrimination if they intend to claim that they have a religious right to refuse service to LGBT people.

State Rep. Chuck Strohm (R) introduced a bill, the Oklahoma Religious Freedom Act, earlier this year that would allow businesses like wedding cake bakers and photographers to deny services if it was “against the person’s religious beliefs.”

State Sen. Joseph Silk (R), who introduced a similar bill in the Oklahoma Senate, told The New York Times recently that new laws were necessary because the LGBT movement was “challenging religious liberties and the freedom to live out religious convictions.”

The amendment to HB1371 introduced by Virgin on Tuesday would require religious businesses to come out of the closet.

“Any person not wanting to participate in any of the activities set forth in subsection A of this section based on sexual orientation, gender identity or race of either party to the marriage shall post notice of such refusal in a manner clearly visible to the public in all places of business, including websites,” the amendment states.

“The notice may refer to the person’s religious beliefs, but shall state specifically which couples the business does not serve by referring to a refusal based upon sexual orientation, gender identity or race.”

The Gayly noted that Virgin’s amendment “would save minority couples from facing the indignity of being refused service.”

“Thank you to Representative Virgin for calling out the level of segregation allowed under this legislation,” Freedom Oklahoma Executive Director Troy Stevenson said in a statement. “If the state of Oklahoma is going to protect discrimination, then at the very least, businesses should be required to own their bias, and post it publicly for the world to see.”

Ryan Kiesel, director of ACLU of Oklahoma, also praised the amendment, saying that it “very pointedly exposes the absurdity of creating a new era of legalized segregation.”

Watch the video below from KFOR, broadcast Jan. 26, 2015.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

If they're willing to lose LGBT customers I'm sure they won't mind losing the few sympathizers who bother to read the signs.

Comment

I think you make the mistake here that most liberals will also.

You're assuming that "owning" discrimination will actually hurt their business.

We're not talking about NY here. We talking about the sticks.

I think this will encourage others that may not have willing to go quite this far into doing it to keep up with their neighbors.

The effort it takes to get this type of law passed is better spent fighting discrimination in the first place.
      Attached Files
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So you want businesses to put up signs that say straights only?
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I have no objections to this amendment.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Chik-Fil-A comes to NYC
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

This probably violates right to association. And the first amendment gives you the right not to speak.

But it won't pass anyway so who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                This probably violates right to association. And the first amendment gives you the right not to speak.

But it won't pass anyway so who cares.
                How would such a law violate the right to association? The anti-LGBT businesses will still be free to not associate with LGBT people.

And as for the right not to speak, what about the right of consumers to make informed decisions about where to go for services? I think an LGBT person should be able to find out if a business will deny them services before embarrassing themselves. So what about a consumer's need to make an informed decision about whether or not to go to a particular business?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  So you want businesses to put up signs that say straights only?
                  Yes. The anti-LGBT business owners may as well wear their bigotry proudly, on their sleeves, if they honestly think there's nothing wrong with their stance regarding LGBT people.

And I would know then, where to go, and not to go for services or for shopping.

Comment

I'm struggling not to make the obvious Godwin reference here.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      I think you make the mistake here that most liberals will also.

You're assuming that "owning" discrimination will actually hurt their business.

We're not talking about NY here. We talking about the sticks.

I think this will encourage others that may not have willing to go quite this far into doing it to keep up with their neighbors.

The effort it takes to get this type of law passed is better spent fighting discrimination in the first place.
                      But don't you see? Forcing businesses to put up signs and post notices on their websites, saying, "Straight people only," will remind people of the ugliness of a different sort of segregation from a by-gone era. It will shine the light on those business owners, and publicly shame them.

Of course, then you have "the sticks" or smaller towns that you mentioned. But even in those smaller communities, there are LGBT people and straight allies of LGBT people. Such public shame may not have as much of an effect because those areas tend to still be much more conservative, but still . . .

Comment

Such public shame may not have as much of an effect because those areas tend to still be much more conservative, but still . . .
                        That's my point. I think you overestimate "public shame". In many of these areas, which I even see when I travel in central Illinois, signs like that could be viewed as a badge of courage.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's my point. I think you overestimate "public shame". In many of these areas, which I even see when I travel in central Illinois, signs like that could be viewed as a badge of courage.
                          (shrug) This idea is not perfect, but I still think it's a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            I'm struggling not to make the obvious Godwin reference here.
                            The struggle. It's real.

Comment

Abercrombie and Fitch's "No to fatties" springs to mind.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X