Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the site in question:

What is Abandonware?

Abandonware, which stands for "abandoned software", is a term that refers to software, but most often computer games, which the manufacturer and the owner ceased to support, and sell for the most part. This means that such game can never be officialy bought anywhere, and generally (even if you buy second-hand) doesn't work on commercial and accessible hardware or operating system. Such games, of course, are not freely available, until the owner officialy releases the game and it's granted freeware status. Abandonware as such is illegal, and essentialy means only more benevolent access of the original owner to his original software, which usually only fans are able to run successfully.
    Recently howewer, a number of excellent freeware projects like DOSBox or ScummVM appeared, which make the playing of old games very comfortable.
    An organization named ESA also came into being, to bring together the owners of copyrights and watches the so-called copyright infringement, such as the free distribution of Abandonware. Although lately several development companies (e.g. LucasArts) cancelled their membership in the organization - perhaps the ESA charges far exceeded the profits from won court processes, or official sales of old games. ;-)
    I think I'll take their word on the legality of their content.

Comment

Hmmm.
      Last edited by Dinner; February 9, 2015, 22:25.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Wiki covers the topic well.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm fascinated by how Americans think toilet etiquette is important.

We're more like the English on that point, it's a miracle we wash at all.

Mrs Horse is constantly horrified when I have a slash and leave the door open. Discuss.

She is Thai, they have clean habits.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I have seen Toilets in Thailand and disagree. The only Time I've seen worse was in China, and it left me constipated for weeks.
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Huh...... Toilets and Civ 1. Any connection between the two? Seems a bit ungrateful for a website devoted to the Civilization series.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                when I have a slash
                ???

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                X