Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oh, so it was called "soccer" in Britain until snobs decided to stop calling it that in the 1980's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh, so it was called "soccer" in Britain until snobs decided to stop calling it that in the 1980's

It never takes long if you find yourself watching a big World Cup match at a party or pub before the inevitable question comes up: why do some people - and particularly Americans - insist on calling football "soccer"?

Inevitably, someone pipes up in a loud voice about Americans ignorantly renaming the sport to suit themselves, while another suggests that the NFL is to blame for the confusion.

Well, now you can wade in and inform both parties that they are the misguided and ignorant ones. Politely and amicably, of course, though we'll allow you a little smugness.

The word "soccer" is actually British. It derives from the game's proper name, association football, with the "soc" bit taken from the word "association" .

The reason it came into popular usage was simple: in the 19th century, football and rugby were both commonly known as football, the former dubbed "association football" and the latter "rugby football". But both phrases are a bit of a mouthful, however, so they were popularly shortened to "soccer" and "rugger" to keep things simple.

Now, your grandad and anybody else over the age of 50 probably knows this instinctively, though younger sports fans might well not since the word "soccer" hasn't been widely used in Britain for three or four decades.

Yet on the other side of the pond, solving such problems is actually a full time job. And one that employed University of Michigan professor Stefan Szymanski for several months as, quite amazingly, he wrote a research paper to point out all of the above.

Szymanski's "research" goes to town on the various different types of football played in early 19th century Britain:

"The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,' a term recognised in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer'" Szymanski wrote.

Americans merely adopted the colloquialism, and understandably so given that their own, homegrown American Football (invented in 1869) would have been likely confused with the English kick-and-run sport.

It was only by the 1980s, claims Szymanski, that the Brits decided to largely disassociate themselves with the term "soccer" due to it having become considered too "American". So a term created by Brits was effectively ditched.

"In the US it seems to have had a more democratic flavour – everyone used it – and more easily shifted from a colloquialism to a proper name because of the utility of distinguishing it from the other 'football'," Szymanski explained.

"Since 1980 the usage of the word 'soccer' has declined in British publications, and where it is used, it usually refers to an American context. This decline seems to be a reaction against the increased usage in the US which seems to be associated with the highpoint of the [North American Soccer League] around 1980."

So perhaps it is time for snobbery and frustration towards American "soccer" fans to dissipate. After all, the poor folk 'over the pond' merely adopted accepted an established term. So there.

Now all we have to do is persuade them that "baseball" is actually called "rounders", and that hockey should be played on grass or astroturf rather than at an ice rink, and all will be right with the world.

snobbery
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Duh
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I did not know this.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's because you were in Oklahoma City.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          That's because you were in Oklahoma City.
          I'm going to also blame that on British snobbery.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If you were on British Oklahoma City no wonder at your lack of luck.

Comment

more like Blokelahoma City
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Blokeback Mountain?

Comment

I'll still never forget when I was at the theater with my dad and we saw a preview for that movie. We thought it was some sort of comedy. It was just so hokey and silly. We laughed out loud in the packed theater. Nobody else did. People around us looked at us like we were monsters.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava, it also has to do with the British class system. Words like "soccer" and "rugger" are upper class slang, so if you use them you sound like a twаt.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

We'll call it soccer again when you start calling it rugger again. Until then our game is football and not the one with the lemon.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

You are Belgian. People care about what you think of English words even less than people care about what Canadians think.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          Sava, it also has to do with the British class system. Words like "soccer" and "rugger" are upper class slang, so if you use them you sound like a twаt.
                          Interesting. I've never been across the pond and am not terribly familiar with that aspect of culture in the UK.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The article is interesting.

Now what's this about hockey and "rounders"?
                            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              Interesting. I've never been across the pond and am not terribly familiar with that aspect of culture in the UK.
                              You should visit, it's mostly a country full of people getting wasted and ****ing each other, you'd like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X