Poly lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly lawyers

Wife just rear ended somebody at very low speed pulling into a stop light. There was no damage to either car (photographically documented), but the guy in the car claimed neck pain etc. My guess is that they will struggle to prove any actual bodily harm; what are the expectations for settlement figures in this type of case? Anecdotally, folks I talked to who have been at the receiving end of thin complaints like this have had their cases settled with figures below their insurance coverage (20k/40k). Is this also your experience?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Let's talk aBout rear-ending Uranus.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

This reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. My wife was driving down a busy two lane road, I was in the front passenger seat. A car pulled out from a bank about 100 yards ahead of us, there was plenty of room for it to accelerate to speed, but I noticed that it wasn't speeding up like it should. I shouted at my wife to stop, we barely avoided colliding with it. The car then moved on down the road, there was a red light a short distance away, where it stopped but its tail lights didn't light up. I could see the man in the passenger seat turn his head and talk to the woman driving, then he bent over and a few seconds later the tail lights lit up. My guess is that they had disconnected the tail lights in the hopes of luring someone into hitting them. When the trick didn't work the guy reconnected the lights to avoid getting a ticket from the police.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Hire someone to follow the guy for a few days and take pictures. Always fun to show the guy golfing while trying to claim debilitating neck pain.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
          This reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. My wife was driving down a busy two lane road, I was in the front passenger seat. A car pulled out from a bank about 100 yards ahead of us, there was plenty of room for it to accelerate to speed, but I noticed that it wasn't speeding up like it should. I shouted at my wife to stop, we barely avoided colliding with it. The car then moved on down the road, there was a red light a short distance away, where it stopped but its tail lights didn't light up. I could see the man in the passenger seat turn his head and talk to the woman driving, then he bent over and a few seconds later the tail lights lit up. My guess is that they had disconnected the tail lights in the hopes of luring someone into hitting them. When the trick didn't work the guy reconnected the lights to avoid getting a ticket from the police.
          You really seem to be surrounded by the dregs of humanity.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
            He lives in the deep south
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

As a lawyer I'd recommend giving the perpetrator your credit card and driving home and reporting it stolen as soon as you can. Alternatively you should not settle unless they have a doctor's note confirming neck injury, and in fact should consider counter suing (this is a term of art for when you want to double down on your wife's mistake).

Comment

Not a lawyer, but wiglaf makes sense, especially if the guy can never produce confirmation of injury. Send yourself and wife to a shrink for at least a session and confirm that the threat of a suit caused emotional distress.

Alternatively, rah's idea is awesome.
                Last edited by FlameFlash; January 23, 2015, 18:48. Reason: I liked Rah's idea
                I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Ugh, this is what Silk Road was made for.

Also, the last time I rear-ended someone, I just mentioned INS and the person drove off.
                  Last edited by DaShi; January 24, 2015, 01:52.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                    As a lawyer I'd recommend giving the perpetrator your credit card and driving home and reporting it stolen as soon as you can. Alternatively you should not settle unless they have a doctor's note confirming neck injury, and in fact should consider counter suing (this is a term of art for when you want to double down on your wife's mistake).
                    A sizeable number of these folks are on Medicaid already, so they can wander from doctor to doctor until they find one willing to certify that there injury is worth 6 figures. The state pays the doctor's fees.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                      Oh Please! If I could tell you what I see on a daily basis in my clinic, but I can't, medical ethics prohibits me.

Comment

I would like to place a poast in this thrade

Comment

Working...
                        X