Congratulations Anti-vaxers. Measles spreading in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    When the flu kills a bunch of children do we say the victims had genetic defects? Clearly the children who survived had the better immune systems.
    This is an extraordinarily simplistic view, and I can demolish it with a single, simple example. Let's say you get the flu tomorrow and survive. Then let's say you get the flu 5 years from now and die. Did you, somehow, have a genetically superior immune system when it failed to kill you, and a genetically inferior immune system when it succeeded in killing you? No. Were there, perhaps, other factors in an exceedingly complex world that may have led to your differing results?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      ignorant anti-cancer pressure groups
      Are there pro-cancer pressure groups? If these folks were less ignorant would they at least be neutral on cancer?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Are there pro-cancer pressure groups?
        big tobacco?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
          big tobacco?
          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            Are there pro-cancer pressure groups? If these folks were less ignorant would they at least be neutral on cancer?
            Auto spell correct strikes again. I wrote anti-vaxxer and it changed it to anti-cancer. Sadly, I have not figured out how to turn off spelling auto correct on my Galaxy S5. I assume it is some where in the options of the Chrome browser.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Auto spell correct strikes again. I wrote anti-vaxxer and it changed it to anti-cancer. Sadly, I have not figured out how to turn off spelling auto correct on my Galaxy S5. I assume it is some where in the options of the Chrome browser.
              With the keyboard open, hold the microphone button to get to the keyboard settings, then go to auto-complete and turn it off.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Settings -> Language and Input -> first option

the main settings in the Chrome OS, not the browser

I think

there's a spell checker option there

however, I have a droid turbo... though, it's chrome os, so should be similar if not the same
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Some old, but still relevant articles from Wired:

Why the "pro-choice" republicans are horribly and dangerously wrong on the issue:

Know your facts:
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    This is an extraordinarily simplistic view, and I can demolish it with a single, simple example. Let's say you get the flu tomorrow and survive. Then let's say you get the flu 5 years from now and die. Did you, somehow, have a genetically superior immune system when it failed to kill you, and a genetically inferior immune system when it succeeded in killing you? No. Were there, perhaps, other factors in an exceedingly complex world that may have led to your differing results?
                    yes, your immune system was stronger than people killed by the first flu bug and weaker than the people who survived both bouts of flu

Comment

• "Stronger" in this context is not very meaningful, especially since many diseases kill because of a too-vigorous immune response. It's a question of whether or not your body is equipped to confront a particular threat, rather than a generic "strength" value. Some of that is due to good nutrition, plenty of rest, and other measures of basic good health. But epidemiology is not Dragonball Z, and your immune system isn't OVER TEN THOUSAND!!!
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                        yes, your immune system was stronger than people killed by the first flu bug and weaker than the people who survived both bouts of flu
                        Yeah. You completely failed to respond to my actual post. This is the second of third time you've done this, and you've already argued that we shouldn't use glasses because someday we might run out, so I'm done responding to you.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I thought I cleared up how vaccines worked 13 posts ago?
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            "Stronger" in this context is not very meaningful, especially since many diseases kill because of a too-vigorous immune response.
                            Stronger = better, not worse... Your example is a worse immune system.

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            Yeah. You completely failed to respond to my actual post. This is the second of third time you've done this, and you've already argued that we shouldn't use glasses because someday we might run out, so I'm done responding to you.
                            I answered your question and I never said we should do anything, but yes, glasses will allow more people with bad eyesight to pass along their genes and that means more people with bad eyesight.

That needs to be explained?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              In my example the people with better immune systems survived the flu, in yours they died. If they died, their immune systems were inferior to those who didn't die.

so I'm done responding to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                                I thought I cleared up how vaccines worked 13 posts ago?
                                Yeah, Berz totally ignored that post and carried on trolling - because nobody could really be that stupid as to actually believe the guff he's spewing...

Also why I gave him such a low troll rating.
                                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X