No announcement yet.

UK General Election thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well i think it's worth saying first off that the green party's views and mine are quite different. i regard the green party's policies as a good first (and sometimes second, third etc.) step towards the sort of society i would want. i will try to discuss it from a green party perspective, though inevitably some of my own views will creep in.

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
    There are two points.

One, that I believe equalising society should be done by bringing people up, not pulling people down. I would rather an economic and social policy aimed at improving the lot of the relatively poor by having them be the main beneficiaries of productivity and other gains - not an economic and social policy aimed at taking wealth from the better off to give to the relatively poor just because of the meme "the rich got too much money" (see Oxfam's latest commentary on the 1% soon to be owning over 50% of global wealth - the focus is the wrong way around). The Greens mode of thinking concerns me on this front, even if individual policies may have the effect I would like to see.
    well aside from the rather platitudinous nature of all that, it's clear from a historical point of view that capitalism causes wealth to go upwards and that this can only be reversed, or perhaps more accurately minimised, by state led redistribution measures (in a capitalist context - see britain 1945-1979 as an example). how do you propose to achieve your aims in the context of the present system?

and it seems to me that oxfam has the focus exactly right. the west is extremely wealthy, while many in the third world do not have decent access to even the most basic necessities. what better way could there possibly be to tackle third world poverty than the west giving some of its vast wealth to the third world?

As a tangent, this is a different point to fair taxation - I fully support the principle of the relatively undertaxed and better off in the current system paying a larger share (see Amazon, Starbucks, Jimmy Carr et al). I see the reason for the better off paying lower taxes as a matter of tax collection methods and ability - it is easier to raise income tax on the lower and middle classes as they can collect the tax through PAYE and ensure high compliance; taxing any transnational conglomerate or high net worth international and making sure they pay is harder. Even the American embassy refuses to pay the congestion charge in London, whilst Boris has to cough up for CGT in the U.S. (on a UK property!) despite being only a notional citizen of that land.
    the greens have proposed to introduce a land value tax, which can't really be avoided nor evaded if done properly. in a capitalist context i think the only credible way forward on taxation is to move it from labour and capital onto land.

Two, being a relatively rich country now and redistributing it is only sustainable and a net plus for the majority if you don't **** up the reason for that wealth generation in the first place. The Greens mode of thinking that growth is unnecessary to maintain a standard of living - we can just tax the wealth and redisrtibute - seems bonkers. In a world of 2% real growth, a rate of zero per cent growth will halve your country's wealth generation potential in about 35 years (i.e., your wealth generation is half of what it could have been). I find it hard to believe that halving your country's potential GDP inside a generation will lead to the average person being better off - unless there is an economic principle that allows median incomes to more than double whilst keeping GDP flat for decades. I know I wouldn't want to be entering retirement into such a society.
    i think ken put it very well regarding green party policy. but there's a broader question here about how wealth is created, or indeed what wealth really is, and it seems to me that a big part of the green party's vision is precisely to move away from current prism through which subject is viewed. this is what i was alluding to when i talked about changing social priorities.

i would also like to make a more general point about framing. it's always interesting to see how debates about this sort of thing are framed - the limits imposed on discussion by its terms of reference and implicit or explicit assumptions. obviously if one can frame a debate one can control the range of possible answers. a few weeks ago i listened to any questions on radio 4, there were representatives of the three main parties and mark serwotka on the panel. there was a question about what public services were likely to be cut after the autumn statements, and following a good opening from serwotka, the debate became about the deficit and the budget, including several minutes of mark littlewood (former lib dem, now part of a free market think tank) wanking on about "living within our means", "taking tough decisions", "the changes we need to make if we don't want to see the UK go the way of greece" and blahdblahblah; public services barely got a look in, except to say how much they could be cut! and this framing is typical of these debates: the issue is considered in narrow terms and naturally this produces narrow answers.
    Last edited by C0ckney; January 26, 2015, 21:27.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
      Yes. It's called modern society.
      you won't see HC in this thread again. i asked him to back up some of his claims.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• I don't think I've ever seen him do that... provide support or evidence
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
          I don't think I've ever seen him do that... provide support or evidence
          Ah, but he does poast "you're a **** if you think that".

Is that supporting evidence ?

Comment

• only if he uses the possessive "your" when he says it
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
              and it seems to me that oxfam has the focus exactly right. the west is extremely wealthy, while many in the third world do not have decent access to even the most basic necessities. what better way could there possibly be to tackle third world poverty than the west giving some of its vast wealth to the third world?
              Why would the west give some of its vast wealth to the third world? I'm not saying its not the right thing to do morally (there's an argument there worth having at least) but while you could potentially build a political movement based around building a fair society at home, you are never going to build one on the idea of giving away vast amounts of money, especially when the countries in question have absolutely no chance of that wealth being distributed in a way that would actually help in a fair and equal way.

Comment

• to answer your quesiton: because it is the best way to tackle third world poverty. the green party has pledged to double UK foreign aid.

Comment

to answer your quesiton: because it is the best way to tackle third world poverty. the green party has pledged to double UK foreign aid.
                  a) No it isn't necessarily. Enriching or encouraging the appearance of warlords does not tackle poverty, and that is a definite risk.
                  b) How exactly is tackling third world poverty an issue thats going to persuade 99% of the British public to hand over huge amounts of wealth?

Comment

• a) why would promoting development in the third world lead to an increase in warlords? i'm pretty sure the warlords per capita ratio is far lower in developed countries.

b) because it's the right thing to do; because with a small sacrifice the people of the west could actually take a major step towards ending human misery; because it will benefit us all in the long run etc. etc.

Comment

because it's the right thing to do
                      heh
                      because it will benefit us all in the long run etc. etc.
                      hah

you'd have more success if you started a reality show called "African Idol", charged a rate per call received for the voting, and used the money to solve third world poverty
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

a) why would promoting development in the third world lead to an increase in warlords? i'm pretty sure the warlords per capita ratio is far lower in developed countries.
                        Ken is posting from 1830AD and is arguing pro-King and Empire, and anti-Reform Acts.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          We had a referendum on changing electoral systems a few years ago, but with the biggest parties basically lying their tits off against, it never stood a chance.

In sane world the House of Lords would be scrapped and replaced by a 100% elected Senate using proportional representation. But this is not a sane world.
                          Actually, I think the other parties did a good job of hoodwinking the public into thinking it was a vote as to whether you liked Nick Clegg or not - immediately after he'd lied his tits off about university fees.
                          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            I feel like the fact that you have a queen speaks volumes about the desire of the British government to modernize its political system.

Someone's gonna come at me and counter by saying that the US system is also very flawed, so I'd like to pre-empt whoever that will be by saying I completely agree.
                            I agree. Whoops, I've pre-empted your latter gambit by not automatically being defensive and attacking the US system in retaliation - a gambit which also belies your childish attitude towards a reasoned debate.
                            "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

a) why would promoting development in the third world lead to an increase in warlords? i'm pretty sure the warlords per capita ratio is far lower in developed countries.
                              Handing welath to under developed countries has historically not been a particularly great way of turning them into developed countries. It takes time and internal development to raise countries up to developed level, and whilst external help is obvious great, just turning on the cash tap isn't that helpful.

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                              b) because it's the right thing to do; because with a small sacrifice the people of the west could actually take a major step towards ending human misery; because it will benefit us all in the long run etc. etc.
                              How is handing over vast sums of cash a 'small sacrifice'? You're basically asking parents to accept a lower standard of living for their children to help people they've never met, and we know how well that goes over at the polls.

Comment

• If we really cared about improving living standards in Africa, we wouldn't be sending them money, we'd be doing things like getting rid of Boko Haram.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X