No announcement yet.

What's your retirement plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some friends and i are planning to build a collectively run anarchist community out in the countryside; hopefully within the next two years.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'm planning to skip retirement, just get cancer and die in office.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        Does the thought of retirement induce a bout of nervous laughter that transitions to maniacal cackling and then descends into desperate sobbing?
        That about sums it up.

Comment

My actual retirement plan is to save 50+% of what I make every year, running a high risk portfolio and trying to get to 8 figures by the time I'm 50. Then I plan to move to a low tax warm state on the ocean (hint...), convert my non-roth IRAs to roth money (paying an effective 15-20% rate as I will have almost no other "income" at that point - eat it, IRS + CT dept of revenue) and enjoy 30 years of diving, food, drink and slow living. Afterwards my kid(s) can inherit a sum (balance in the roths plus residual in taxable accounts) that will allow them to immediately retire, should they choose.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When men make plans god laughs. I try to keep him at chuckle levels.

Comment

50% domestic equity
              25% domestic bonds
              25% international equity
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Oh, my "actual" retirement plan is to live forever as part of my ever-expanding, universe-consuming, telepathic blob.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I currently 'save' about 50% of my net income. At this level of 'savings', I will pay off my debts around the time I turn 40. From there I will save. I of course have state mandated savings or what have you (currently about 7% of income).

Now I don't think I can maintain this level of savings with my income where I live. My family currently lives in a 60m2 apartment, and we don't have a car or daycare (and don't live in a european city anymore). Our living situation when we are travelling and staying at temporary residences is actually much better. I don't think we can continue to live this way for another 5 months even.

It has been 3 years since my 3 months of unemployment while I waited for a visa ended (where most of my non-student loan debt comes from). During that time I have had 2 significant salary increases (one of which was completely eroded due to my loans being in dollars and not pesos). It is enough to make me want to change careers.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My actual retirement plan:

1) No debt (accomplished so far)
                    2) Finish the house within 1 or 2 years. (on schedule)
                    3) Build a house for Net's parents. (may take precedence over #2 at some point soon)
                    4) Get all the siblings through college. (going well)
                    5) Buy up as much land as is legal in Net's name. (mostly done)
                    6) Get US citizenship for Net. (the hardest one, just in case something happens to me and what we're building here)

The perfect retirement:

1) An awesome hammock. (still looking)
                    2) Copious amounts of banana, papaya, mango, green coconut, avocado, and various other fruits blended together in awesome shakes and smoothies. (realized)
                    3) Go to the beach whenever I want. (realized)
                    4) Wake up whenever I want. (if we have kids that is going to destroy any chance of this for a good long while)
                    5) Play lots of games. (realized)
                    6) Lots of internet flame wars. (comes and goes, forum ownership seems to have been a mistake in this regard)

Comment

Ok serious answer, thinking about retirement is depressing for me, especially since I've been pretty ****ing depressed all this week.
                      Logically, everyone gets a pension so I'll get some money from that. (although there really is a sentiment that pensions will be minumim and people would try to rely more in private schemes as well, something that is already done). I've been working since I got out of the (compulsory) army so I don't have "lost years" in insurance.
                      In 4 months I completely pay off the house mortgage so I have a house of my own.
                      I'm more interested in how my years go by than if I get a retirement to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Oh, my "actual" retirement plan is to live forever as part of my ever-expanding, universe-consuming, telepathic blob.

Lorizael, God-Emperor of Maryland Community College
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          I currently 'save' about 50% of my net income. At this level of 'savings', I will pay off my debts around the time I turn 40. From there I will save. I of course have state mandated savings or what have you (currently about 7% of income).

Now I don't think I can maintain this level of savings with my income where I live. My family currently lives in a 60m2 apartment, and we don't have a car or daycare (and don't live in a european city anymore). Our living situation when we are travelling and staying at temporary residences is actually much better. I don't think we can continue to live this way for another 5 months even.

It has been 3 years since my 3 months of unemployment while I waited for a visa ended (where most of my non-student loan debt comes from). During that time I have had 2 significant salary increases (one of which was completely eroded due to my loans being in dollars and not pesos). It is enough to make me want to change careers.

JM
                          Maybe you should?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Is 50% of your net income to pay off your debts in ~6 years typical for people with postgraduate degrees?
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It is if you are working as a postdoc and have reasonable sized debts from undergrad.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                                My actual retirement plan is to save 50+% of what I make every year, running a high risk portfolio and trying to get to 8 figures by the time I'm 50. Then I plan to move to a low tax warm state on the ocean (hint...), convert my non-roth IRAs to roth money (paying an effective 15-20% rate as I will have almost no other "income" at that point - eat it, IRS + CT dept of revenue) and enjoy 30 years of diving, food, drink and slow living. Afterwards my kid(s) can inherit a sum (balance in the roths plus residual in taxable accounts) that will allow them to immediately retire, should they choose.
                                This seems a bit extreme to me. For me, 30% - 40% savings and mid 7 figures is plenty. I could retire now, but it would be less of a disruption if I continue to work until my son graduates from high school.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X