Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you fulfilling your patriotic duty to consume ad nauseam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glory be! Foie gras is back on the menu in California! I will be consuming a bunch of that shortly.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I have a subscription to Netflix.

Comment

I heard on a podcast lately that there's this one farmer in Spain who makes free-range foie gras. He's some kind of goose whisperer or something, he's worked out a way to convince the geese to gorge themselves naturally. And, apparently, it's really damn good foie gras, if you like that kind of thing, because the geese get a marvelously varied diet that all goes to the liver. Anyway, enjoy your fatty goose parts, man.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
          I just finished the whole series that Leviathan Wakes is a part of. Do you read it in English or have they translated it to Greek?
          In english, it's not yet translated in greek.
          Since we are on the subject, what is the exact meaning of "bulkhead"? I found this word again and again on the book but I'm not sure of its meaning. It is where people sleep on a (space)ship, or is it the curved gates spaceships might have? Or something else?
          edit:The dictionary has it as "diafragma" which usually means the little thing you've got between your two nostrils in the nose. I suspect that's not the correct meaning in the book's context. It also has it as "ship division" or "ship viawall". No idea what those are either.

Also other books on a similar trend that I've read and can recommend" Man on Mars"
          http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18007564-the-martian (this I finished in two days but it was translated in greek)

and "across the universe" trilogy
          http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...s-the-universe. this is a bit girly but still worth it.
          (it's apparent sometimes I prefer to leave this planet)
          Last edited by Bereta_Eder; January 8, 2015, 06:30.

Comment

"Bulkhead" is what they call a wall inside a ship. That's it. Kind of like a toilet in a ship has to be a "head," and left and right are "port" and "starboard."
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'd say that it would be a wall that divides different 'rooms' inside the spaceshp, the outer hull would not qualify as a bulkhead.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                left and right are "port" and "starboard."
                Left is only port if you are facing the front of the boat.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  I ate KFC in Bulgaria. They put a hash brown on a chicken sandwich.
                  USS DONALD COOK (DDG 75)?
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

the bulgarians are on top of things

Comment

I caught the news about this ship being in Varna this morning but there seem to be no KFC in Varna.
                      Also that ship is a destroyer and Albi is supposed to be in the marines. Are there any marines on destroyers?

Anyway the only KFC on the Black Sea coast in Bulgaria is in Burgas according to KFC's website.
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                        Left is only port if you are facing the front of the boat.
                        *Head upside down looking between knees* Are you telling me there isn't any port left?

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                          *Head upside down looking between knees* Are you telling me there isn't any port left?
                          The port is like the rum: It's always gone.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            "Bulkhead" is what they call a wall inside a ship. That's it. Kind of like a toilet in a ship has to be a "head," and left and right are "port" and "starboard."
                            Not just any wall. Bulkheads are structural elements of the hull, designed to compartmentalize the ship in the event of a breach. Unlike ordinary cabin walls which can be made thin with "normal" doors, bulkheads are thick metal with hatches.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, educate yourself!
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3759986250_b7d99d5695_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	9101412

Comment

Working...
                                X