This year's flu shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There, that wasn't so hard, was it...
    "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

In the past it's been shown that vaccinating working people is cost effective when comparing the cost of vaccinating against the cost of lost work days and flu related healthcare expenditures. Furthermore vaccinating pre-schoolers and school-aged children has been shown to be the most effective mens of limiting the annual flu epidemic. The little buggers are the very heart of the typical flu epidemic.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Anyone who has had children in childcare would agree, one kid wipes his nose on the toy, passes it to the next kid who puts the toy in their mouth *shudder* they are a bug factory

The only upside is once they get to school we found they hardly ever got sick.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

We noticed that too. Once they started school it was the kids that hadn't gone to daycare that were the ones that were getting sick. Those that had gone had already gone through that and were generally sick less often.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

so now here we all are debating the flu shot - we must be getting old Rah...take me back to the days when it was all about middle infections and tonsils..(or maybe not eh!!)
            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 13, 2015, 15:16.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

That's a given.
              I was more discussing that they said this years strain was a bust since they guessed wrong but they're still pushing it like candy.
              When costs are rising should they still be pushing it? Apparently many still believe they should. I was kind of surprised by the reaction.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I get the flu shot every year if I can. I would this year if I could. This was after some chronic chest and throat infections about twenty years ago.

My probably unscientific theory is you build up immunity to a range of strains over time. As it happens I haven't had a serious cold, sore throat or flu for years. If it doesn't help you this year, it might help you next year would be my logic.

Comment

Your "probably unscientific" theory has weight to it. When swine flu hit, it (unusually) caused fewer deaths among the old than the young- probably due to a degree of resistance from some older bug.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

The worst I've had recently was after Mrs Horse convinced me, against my better judgment, to do one of those ludicrous "luxury" spa and beauty treatments with her, where they wrap you naked in hot towels and cake your face in mud. The wet romp in the air conditioned hotel room afterwards probably didn't help.

I ended up in hospital with double pneumonia, sucking on an oxygen bottle with a steaming ventilator attached, unable to breath without assistance. Mrs Horse thought it was hilarious.

She was fine of course. This confirmed one of my other unscientific theories - women are built different to men, harder and stronger than us in some basic biological ways that only they know about.

Fear them gentlemen. It's probably why they live longer. I'm considered a "hard man" but I was jelly after doing something they do every day, have a "beauty" treatment.
                    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 13, 2015, 16:03.

Comment

It's probably why they live longer.
                      Only because they want to.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

exactly

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                          lol, if your body is that prone to breakdowns, maybe it's a good thing you took the flu shot.
                          The leg injury was from a hike. The shoulder was from tearing my rotator cuff. Not fun. I couldn't bend my arm behind my back. Haven't been injured since.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            That's a given.
                            I was more discussing that they said this years strain was a bust since they guessed wrong but they're still pushing it like candy.
                            When costs are rising should they still be pushing it? Apparently many still believe they should. I was kind of surprised by the reaction.
                            "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Working...
                            X