Zero Tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Tolerance

The Los Angeles Unified School District this week took a welcome step away from a longstanding disciplinary system in which police issued citations to students ages 13 to 17 who committed minor offenses, a system that effectively criminalizes what is often merely coming-of-age behavior while…

So LAUSD liberalizes it's zero tolerance policy. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the policy is often times executed stupidly, and with prejudice, mostly in grade school. I'm tired of hearing about little boys expelled for toy guns. Also, counseling should be used, however it is used under zero tolerance. Students will listen to counseling more when there are consequences for their actions. No consequences and they won't listen. Of course there are exceptions.

On the other hand, I think fighting, marijuana possession etc will increase. Worse, colleges will see these problems increase as well.

So, I think this will be another failure by the educational system, possibly as bad as whole language. If any thing we need to hold students MORE accountable, not less. This is not progress. We are not progressing. Zero tolerance is not the problem. Liberalism is the problem.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

I'm tired of hearing about little boys expelled for toy guns.
    would you prefer it if they were shot?
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Are you referring to a mistake that a police officer made because he was afraid for his life? I don't see the connection.

Comment

The second largest school district in the country has finally stopped criminalizing typical HS student behavior and you have "mixed feelings"??

Blowing off school for a day or getting into a scuffle during gym class should not result in starting your adult life with a criminal record.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

i'm referring to your view that expelling kids for toy guns is ridiculous, but shooting them dead is fine.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
            i'm referring to your view that expelling kids for toy guns is ridiculous, but shooting them dead is fine.
            Talking to your imaginary friend again?

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              The second largest school district in the country has finally stopped criminalizing typical HS student behavior and you have "mixed feelings"??

Blowing off school for a day or getting into a scuffle during gym class should not result in starting your adult life with a criminal record.
              Those are criminal offenses, and they are a serious disruption to the learning environment. Why shouldn't they have a criminal record?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                Talking to your imaginary friend again?
                we're not friends.

Comment

also are you saying that shooting 12 year old kids for having toy guns is not ok?

Comment

we're not friends.
                    Why did you invent an enemy?

Comment

also are you saying that shooting 12 year old kids for having toy guns is not ok?
                      Are you expecting your imaginary enemy to answer this?

Comment

why so coy? i can understand why someone would be embarrassed about holding the kind of views you do, but you should take responsibility for them; you're supposed to be a grown man.

Comment

I'm just going to randomly suggest a book to read ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            Those are criminal offenses, and they are a serious disruption to the learning environment. Why shouldn't they have a criminal record?
                            You don't think things like detention and suspension are sufficient? You really want to use scarce resources like police manpower to issue citations to every kid caught with an attitude problem or a beer?

Apparently you were never young.

You really are a piece of work, Kid. And by that I mean, a piece of crap.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                              You don't think things like detention and suspension are sufficient? You really want to use scarce resources like police manpower to issue citations to every kid caught with an attitude problem or a beer?

Apparently you were never young.

You really are a piece of work, Kid. And by that I mean, a piece of crap.
                              I was going to say that you are different from people like COckney, but the more I talk to you the more I see that you are not. You think you're better than people who disagree with you.

So, yes I was young once. I was also a teacher once. What does that have to do with believing that we learn from consequences?

Detention and suspension don't really work. What do you do when they don't go to detention? Suspension? Come on, you know no one cares about being suspended.

Comment

Working...
                              X