X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Researchers: Every 64 Days There's A Mass Shooting

Originally posted by HP
    Harvard Researchers: Every 64 Days There's A Mass Shooting

Harvard University researchers say U.S. mass shootings have surged in the last three years, contradicting earlier studies.

The Harvard researchers said the rate of mass shootings has increased threefold since 2011, occurring on average every 64 days, compared with an average of every 200 days in the years from 1982 to 2011.

The researchers used a database created by Mother Jones to look at mass shootings, which they defined as attacks that "took place in public, in which the shooter and the victims generally were unrelated and unknown to each other, and in which the shooter murdered four or more people."

The Harvard study echoes an FBI report last month that found active shooter incidents have risen dramatically in the last six years, with an average of 16.4 such shootings a year from 2007 to 2013, compared with an average of 6.4 shootings annually from 2000 to 2006.

The graph below shows how the Harvard team plotted the increase in the rate of mass shootings since 2011:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176878[/ATTACH]

Some earlier media reports asserted that the rate of mass killings has not gone up. That claim, the Harvard researchers said, is based on what they call flawed research by Northeastern University criminologist James Alan Fox.

Fox's research uses a broader definition of mass shootings that includes any killing with a gun in which four or more people were murdered. That includes domestic shootings that take place in a private home, and gang-related or drug-related killings.

Mark Follman, Mother Jones' senior editor, explained why the distinction in the definitions is important.

"Our focus has been on public attacks as opposed to domestic attacks," Follman told The Huffington Post. "Domestic killings are no less serious, but they are a different kind of problem. It’s terrible when a mentally disturbed person slaughters his whole family in his home, but that’s different from indiscriminate killing."

Follman did not take part in the Harvard analysis, but Mother Jones provided the data upon which the findings are based.

The researchers looked at the amount of time between mass shootings. "This is more effective than counting the annual number of incidents because it is more sensitive to detecting changes in frequency when the number of events per year is small, as is the case with public mass shootings," the researchers explained.

Follman said he hopes the data will give policymakers a clearer idea of how frequently mass shootings occur and help them decide what can be done to curb them.

"The universal goal is we want to prevent these from happening," Follman said. "You have to understand the problem better and track the problem accurately. The clearer the data we can get on mass shootings the better."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5992702.html

Every 64 days? Jesus ****ing christ, that's insane.
    Attached Files

Only in:

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Clearly they need more guns
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

don't you mean: more freedom*!

*not to be confused with freedom.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

More people are murdered in mass shootings than die of Ebola.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I suppose your implicit assumption here is that gun control would do something about this. It wouldn't.

Also, the definition here is "4 or more people shot" and that includes all sorts of things that we wouldn't consider equivalent to Columbine.

Anyway, this is a dumb troll thread and fortunately we're not going to have to argue this dumb bull**** for the foreseeable future because the Republicans are about to take control of both chambers of Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
              I suppose your implicit assumption here is that gun control would do something about this. It wouldn't.
              Actually yes it would, that's why countries that don't have private gun ownership also don't have regular mass public shootings. Then again we all know this will/can never happen in the US, so meh enjoy your regular mass shootings.

Also, the definition here is "4 or more people shot" and that includes all sorts of things that we wouldn't consider equivalent to Columbine.
              You read the part where they expressly only included public shootings right?

Anyway, this is a dumb troll thread and fortunately we're not going to have to argue this dumb bull**** for the foreseeable future because the Republicans are about to take control of both chambers of Congress.
              It's not a troll thread, it's a WTF thread. If I wanted to start a troll thread I'd ask something like why rich kids always seem to grow up to be complete *******s completely lacking in social conscience or human empathy.

Comment

Working...
              X