Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't things like this happen to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    I was a substitute teacher for 3.5 years. I was a teacher for one.
    I've only subbed for about 3, but I have the advantage of not being a lunatic.

I was hit on more than one time by girls in front of other girls who thought it was cool.
    I regret to inform you that they were laughing at you. Teens like their running jokes. Also, sexual norms are overwhelmingly enforced by women, not men. The news that Sarah is wearing a low-cut top today will get the girls gossiping about what a nasty skank Sarah is, while the guys will mostly go and take a look.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      I've only subbed for about 3, but I have the advantage of not being a lunatic.
      . Do you normally call people lunatics for simply having a different perspective?

I regret to inform you that they were laughing at you. Teens like their running jokes. Also, sexual norms are overwhelmingly enforced by women, not men. The news that Sarah is wearing a low-cut top today will get the girls gossiping about what a nasty skank Sarah is, while the guys will mostly go and take a look.
      Your own perceptions do not equal reality. Again, I can not overemphasize how much kids have changed. They might call each other sluts, but that just doesn't mean what it used to.

Yes, of course they were joking. Do you think they would be joking like that in 1960? No.

Now would a girl be called a slut by others for sleeping with a male teacher? Hell no! Where the heck have you been the last 40 years. That's victim blaming! That's 10 times worse than being a slut.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Er, you don't seem to actually understand how people think. The face that sexual standards have changed does not mean they no longer exist.
        1011 1100

Comment

Er, you don't seem to actually understand how people think. The face that sexual standards have changed does not mean they no longer exist.
          I'm saying that a girl who has been sexually assaulted is no longer thought of or called a slut. She is called a victim. Are there still some who will call her a slut? Yeah maybe, but they will surely receive public scorn.

Comment

Also, yes, OF COURSE that would have happened in 1960. The notion of teenage girls expressing sexual interest in men twice their age is not female empowerment--it's flattering to men. Patriarchy-bait.
            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
              Two at once? Elok, I propose amending the estimate to 30 notches.

Comment

Also, yes, OF COURSE that would have happened in 1960. The notion of teenage girls expressing sexual interest in men twice their age is not female empowerment--it's flattering to men. Patriarchy-bait.
                I seem to remember that being slutty, even in the 70's and 80's. I mean, yes they could marry older men, but their teachers? I don't think so, but neither of us were around. I certainly don't remember them flirting with my teachers in the open for others to see.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  Two at once? Elok, I propose amending the estimate to 30 notches.
                  Yeah, I missed the two-at-a-time aspect. I assume he was expelled for this, but even so, he'll win Homecoming King by write-in vote.
                  1011 1100

Comment

When I was in high school, the sophomore girls did speak about the hot teacher quite animatedly. I'd have to say Kidicious has the right measure here and surprisingly Elok is skating on the misogyny edge (I'd have thought it opposite)!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't think her friends would shame her for having sex with a male teacher because of some patriarchal theory. They simply do not respect teachers or men that much. It depends on who is doing the seducing. And believe you me, it can go both ways.

Comment

Comment

According to another forum this is the lucky dude in question

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            When I was in high school, the sophomore girls did speak about the hot teacher quite animatedly.
                            Of course they did. Speak. Hell, they ogle me sometimes, and I'm a socially awkward sub who looks like Mr. Tumnus. I've seen plenty of girls giggling over handsome teachers. But, while obviously I have no data points to work with here, I'm pretty sure that going farther would have brought the hammer of group condemnation crashing down, unless there were evidence of coercion or the girl were handicapped. They would not view it as "assault"; that would imply that their peer, and therefore they themselves, lacked moral responsibility. The teacher being handsome would likely only add an element of hypocritical jealousy to the emotional mix. Don't get me wrong, I like teenage girls. They're far less obnoxious (to me) than the boys, and more interesting to talk to. But they can also be stunningly catty, vicious and unfair. And women, in general, police sexual impropriety much more than men do.
                            1011 1100

Comment

For example (and I have to credit my wife for this one): girls who develop early tend to be labeled sluts, regardless of their actual behavior. Boys pay more attention to the girl with the big rack ---> sexual jealousy ---> OMG what a TRAMP!
                              1011 1100

Comment

I don't think kids today say "tramp"
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X