Alcubierre Drive and Time Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
    As long as we do not destroy stuff with military budgets, where do you think the money ends up?
    Not in the hands of impoverished people apparently ... thus impoverished. Paying scientists to launch rockets isn't going to change that much.

Comment

However if we spent that money on developing infrastructure (roads, schools, irrigation, sanitary water, etc) in developing nations, we'd quickly have a much healthier world economy that could support much more in the way of space exploration (not that we would do either of those things).

Comment

The truth is we could develop infrastructure with our current defence spending staying intact just as well (or being directed into something more useful), but it is the political class which is not exactly interested.

Moving defence into "space" that would be an order of magnitude, or two increase in investment, it would definitely bring faster progress without much of ill effect, other than less brand new stuff to kill with. We could satisfy the killing instinct with nukes that are already in place.
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

and the tech learned from space travel - growing food, making water... that would benefit the world more than making carriers and bombers. it would probably benefit the military too. many new things to learn to put people on mars and other planets/moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            However if we spent that money on developing infrastructure (roads, schools, irrigation, sanitary water, etc) in developing nations, we'd quickly have a much healthier world economy that could support much more in the way of space exploration (not that we would do either of those things).
            If people in developing nations don't just embezzle the funds.

Comment

I think the US can give up defense spending for a year... or cut back a lot for a few.

We stil have Obama's big red line to smack people with if they step out of line. watch out putin.

Comment

KH has read this thread and not responded. JM is still innocent.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Did you not see my explanation or was it not enough for you?
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
                    if you don't understand the math you'll never understand the theory. it's crazy math. but... it holds up. strange... math don't lie.
                    That's because we all live in a computer simulation. In the actual, real world, math doesn't mean ****.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

well... I guess that's one way to look it.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        Did you not see my explanation or was it not enough for you?
                        I've heard that explanation before, but I only ever hear of it in terms of Event A and other abstract things. It makes it very difficult for me to put together a coherent picture of what's happening in reality.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I thought this thread was about some sort of wormhole you discovered while traveling down a road named Alcubierre Drive.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            I've heard that explanation before, but I only ever hear of it in terms of Event A and other abstract things. It makes it very difficult for me to put together a coherent picture of what's happening in reality.
                            And you have a picture of Einstein as your avatar???

OK. You and are at 2 different locations. Say I assasinate Franz Ferdinand, get a declaration of war and bring it to you. In a universe where I cannot travel faster than the speed of light, it doesn't matter where you are. You will always see that Franz Ferdinand was assassinated and then war was declared. If somehow, I can move faster than light, then you would see the declaration of war 1st, and then Franz Ferdinand being assassinated.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

I was trying to write it up last night while drinking, but gave up.

Essentially, "instantaneous" in one frame of reference is "less than 0 time" in another frame of reference. By cleverly arranging a sequence of events in 2 frames of reference, ability to travel faster than light is equivalent to the ability to travel backward in time (so that you can arrive back before you started and watch yourself leave).

Using lorentz transforms, imagine:

1) transporting instantaneously out to a point 1 light yr away from earth
                              2) accelerating quickly to 0.1c (traveling away from earth)
                              3) instantly transporting back to earth
                              4) decelerating quickly back to earth's frame of reference

use your starting point as t=0, x=0
                              after first hyperspace jump you are at x=1lt yr, t=0
                              after accelerating you are at x'=gamma_0.1 * 1 lt yr; t' = -gamma_0.1 * 0.1yr
                              after second hyperspace jump back you are at x'' = 0; t'' = -gamma_0.1 * 0.1yr
                              and after decelerating back to your initial for you are at x'''=0; t''' = -gamma_0.1^2 * 0.1yr

gamma_0.1^2 = 1/0.99

so you end up back in your initial f.o.r. sightly more than a month before you left. The amount of time travel scales linearly with distance traveled.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Sweet. I'll read your post more thoroughly when morning is not so... morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X