I wonder if DanQ has deep pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if DanQ has deep pockets

Personal Audio LLC is an East Texas shell company that gleaned national attention when it claimed it had the right to demand cash from every podcaster. The company was wielding a patent on "episodic content," which it said included anyone doing a podcast, as well as many types of online video.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Episodic content patent

Comment

I'm fairly sure that SciFi writers from the 1940s had prior art there.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Their estates will have to pay retroactively, of course.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh, the turnaround.

Personal Audio LLC: We patented "episodic content" including podcasts, Mr. Adam Corolla, and you haven't paid us anything for it. You're making a lot of money from this. We're suing you.
          Adam Corolla: No, I'm not making a lot of money from this. I'll fight you and my fans will fight you by contributing to cover legal fees. Also, we're counter-claiming against you to invalidate that patent.
          Personal Audio LLC: OK fine, we see now you're not making a lot of money. We're dropping the lawsuit against you. Bye.
          Adam Corolla: You may be dropping your lawsuit, but you did so without prejudice... so you could refile if you want. Well, I want to continue my countersuit against you. See you in court.
          Personal Audio LLC: Really? Really. You're exploiting your fan base by raising these monies.
          Adam Corolla: See you in court.
          Personal Audio LLC: Really?
          Adam Corolla: Really.

OK, so the last two lines above are an... extrapolation, but not off the mark.

Karma, meet Personal Audio LLC -- Personal Audio LLC, meet Karma. Regardless, there are already winners here and they are the lawyers.
          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

amazing to see the length copyright violators will go to excuse their behavior
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
            X