• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    There's a mile marker sign on I-81 in Virginia that goes something like

Lynchburg 15 miles
    Blacksburg 20 miles

Obviously unintentional; amusing nonetheless.

I used to have a picture of it but I can't find it.
    That's utterly impossible. Lynchburg is 50 miles due east of Roanoke. Blacksburg is 35 miles southwest of Roanoke. There is no route between Lynchburg and Blacksburg that is a mere 35 miles long. In fact, there is no point on I-81 that is a mere 20 miles from Lynchburg.

There is a sign on I-81 that points to Virginia Beach. It was erected for the movie "Deep Impact" in 1997 and apparently they forgot to take it down afterwards. The sign is placed on northbound I-81 just above the merger of I-77 from West Virginia with I-81. The reason for placing the sign there was for a scene in which two of the protagonists are trying to escape a Tsunami generated by the impact of a fragment of the asteroid. They're from Virginia Beach, traffic is backed up, they have to get out of the car and scramble up a nearby mountain. The movie makers had to find a place on I-81 near enough to a mountain to make the scene work. Mostly I-81 travels through the Blue Ridge and Shenadoah valleys in Virginia. The sign is not totally incorrect, if you drive over 100 miles north on I-81 and turn east on I-64 you will eventually get to Virginia Beach. However there is no sign at the juncture of I-81 and I-64 telling you that is the way to Virginia Beach because the next majopr destinations on I-64 are Charlottesville and Richmond.
    It's just funny that no one has thought to take the sign down. The movie company forgot and it looks so official that VDOT hasn't noticed. It makes me think, what fun could someone with enough money and the resources to place official looking highway signs have?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I won't dispute your geographical claims, Doc, but there are some strange signs out there. If you're traveling on 70 E coming into Maryland from Pennsylvania, there are a series of signs implying that Baltimore and DC are a mere 2 miles apart.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        There's a mile marker sign on I-81 in Virginia that goes something like

Lynchburg 15 miles
        Blacksburg 20 miles

Obviously unintentional; amusing nonetheless.

I used to have a picture of it but I can't find it.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          Nope, it's in regular old plain Virginia.
          I'm sure it's one of those town names that can be found in several states.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Probably, but West Virginia isn't one of them.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
              That's utterly impossible. Lynchburg is 50 miles due east of Roanoke. Blacksburg is 35 miles southwest of Roanoke. There is no route between Lynchburg and Blacksburg that is a mere 35 miles long. In fact, there is no point on I-81 that is a mere 20 miles from Lynchburg.

There is a sign on I-81 that points to Virginia Beach. It was erected for the movie "Deep Impact" in 1997 and apparently they forgot to take it down afterwards. The sign is placed on northbound I-81 just above the merger of I-77 from West Virginia with I-81. The reason for placing the sign there was for a scene in which two of the protagonists are trying to escape a Tsunami generated by the impact of a fragment of the asteroid. They're from Virginia Beach, traffic is backed up, they have to get out of the car and scramble up a nearby mountain. The movie makers had to find a place on I-81 near enough to a mountain to make the scene work. Mostly I-81 travels through the Blue Ridge and Shenadoah valleys in Virginia. The sign is not totally incorrect, if you drive over 100 miles north on I-81 and turn east on I-64 you will eventually get to Virginia Beach. However there is no sign at the juncture of I-81 and I-64 telling you that is the way to Virginia Beach because the next majopr destinations on I-64 are Charlottesville and Richmond.
              It's just funny that no one has thought to take the sign down. The movie company forgot and it looks so official that VDOT hasn't noticed. It makes me think, what fun could someone with enough money and the resources to place official looking highway signs have?
              I might be misremembering the road it was on. Or my memory might be totally faulty; it was a long time ago when I saw it.

Comment

Working...
              X