FrankenCiv: a hypothetical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• also, RE: maps, tiles, and movement

why do we need tiles anymore? just implement some kind of movement system that isn't tile based over a sphere?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Having tiles makes working/improving the land much simpler.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Also, in a TBS system, it makes movement more intuitive. I can eyeball the map and say, hey, it'll take my swordsman three turns to reach that city three tiles away. Removing the tiles wouldn't be fatal to that--you could have a mouseover tooltip (if that's the right word) to tell you how many turns it would take, but it doesn't sound like it would confer enough advantages to be worth the programming effort.

Quick question--I could just try and see, but I don't want to go through the hassle and be disappointed. Can I tinker with this crap by simply creating text files, changing their extensions to .html and .css respectively, and opening the files in Firefox?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Quick question--I could just try and see, but I don't want to go through the hassle and be disappointed. Can I tinker with this crap by simply creating text files, changing their extensions to .html and .css respectively, and opening the files in Firefox?
          Yup.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Also, in a TBS system, it makes movement more intuitive. I can eyeball the map and say, hey, it'll take my swordsman three turns to reach that city three tiles away. Removing the tiles wouldn't be fatal to that--you could have a mouseover tooltip (if that's the right word) to tell you how many turns it would take, but it doesn't sound like it would confer enough advantages to be worth the programming effort.

If that's hassle to you, you're going to be disappointed by programming. Also, get a newer book on JS.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• I know, but at the end of a day like yesterday, that counted as a hassle.
              1011 1100

Comment

Also, in a TBS system, it makes movement more intuitive. I can eyeball the map and say, hey, it'll take my swordsman three turns to reach that city three tiles away. Removing the tiles wouldn't be fatal to that--you could have a mouseover tooltip (if that's the right word) to tell you how many turns it would take, but it doesn't sound like it would confer enough advantages to be worth the programming effort.
                Didn't Conquest of the New World do this?
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  Is this it?

A map like that could be done. You'd just want to make those 12 tiles ones you can't move on since they would have funky movement different from the rest of the tiles.

Map the tiles flat. Use them as a texture on a 3D model.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• So, Elok, have you managed to draw a hardcoded map yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                      Didn't Conquest of the New World do this?
                      It's how Total War works. I personally prefer the tile based maps to the more organic ones. It's easier for me to conceptualize how movement will work out without a lot of trial and error.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Total War has 'tiles', they're just smallish, and there's a craptonload of them.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Well, yeah, which makes the map essentially non-tile based. Obviously anything like this is going to have discrete chunks so that the computer can realistically process it.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            So, Elok, have you managed to draw a hardcoded map yet?
                            No, I thought I'd have to have a firm understanding of Java first. I know my reach vastly exceeds my grasp here, but I'll learn as fast as I can so I can at least assist. It's awkward since I have satellite internet with a strict bandwidth limit; I have to go to the library to use Codecademy, or I risk exceeding that limit and getting whacked with penalties and/or fees. One of the downsides of living in the boonies.
                            1011 1100

Comment

• So, using JQuery (a library for JavaScript), I've built a "map" that is a row of tiles. Whenever you mouse over a tile, it gets highlighted. Whenever you click a tile, it gets selected (changes color), and whichever tile was selected previously becomes unselected. w00t.

Comment

• Are you drawing tiles on a canvas? If you're using divs, you're doing it wrong, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X