Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stranger than fiction - it's a **** job but someone's got to do it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger than fiction - it's a **** job but someone's got to do it!

The brave new world of DIY faecal transplant

You would have to be desperate to take a sample of your husband's excrement, liquidise it in a kitchen blender and then insert it into your body with an off-the-shelf enema kit. This article contains images and descriptions which some might find shocking.
    Which leads to the question: why do so many refuse to do these in the US?

Not to mention the fact that, clearly, too many antibiotics are being used in the world as a whole...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Clostridium difficile is an obnoxious microbe, usually kept in check by other bacteria in our guts. Problems arise when antibiotics remove some of these "friendly" bacteria, allowing C. diff to take over. One doctor compares it to the hooligan on the bus who is prevented from doing any harm by the sheer number of people on board. A course of antibiotics is equivalent to some of these people getting off at a stop, allowing the hooligan to run wild. About 50% of a person's faeces is bacteria, and a faecal transplant is like a whole new busload of people - the friendly bacteria - being hustled on board.

We welcome our new friends
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

i'LL donate for free
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I reckon you could cure the whole of the US alone with your donations...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
        X