Recommend Bosh Craft Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Bosh Craft Beer

Going back to the states next month for the first time in years and years so the kids can meet their grandparents and I really really need to some good quality craft beer after suffering for years in Korea.

Something along these lines:
    -Will be only in Maine so has to be available in New England.
    -Flavor strong enough that it feels like being smacked in the mouth by a 4 by 2. 90% of the time when I don't like a beer it's because the flavor is too watery. I usually buy IPAs and stouts because they're usually going to have at least a little flavor but prefer beers in which I can really taste both the malt and the hops.
    -Especially in IPAs I prefer beers in which you can really taste which kind of hops they used (love earthy hop flavor but citrus and piney are OK too) rather than generic bitterness (i.e. lots of late hop addition = good) or a random grab bag of hops.
    -Am leery of most adjuncts except honey (as long as they let the honey ferment properly, would like to try a nice hoppy braggort if I can find one).
    -The beers I liked the best last time I went to the states were Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter (UK) Long Trail IPA (Vermont, forget which version) but I didn't get to try too many kinds that time...
    -Most of my favorite craft beers have ABV in the neighborhood of 6-7% but anything that's not too high on the alcohol is preferable because kids and the more alcohol is in each beer the fewer beers I can try. That said, I'm going to have to buy at least one Russian Imperial Stout so I can make some exceptions.
    -I like a lot of stouts (especially nice thick ones with the consistency of engine oil) but the ones I don't like are either bland like Guiness or taste like ash (like Cooper's from Australia) love the ones with massive amounts of chocolate flavor.
    -I don't much care for Belgian-style beers unless they've got something besides the fruity esters to balance out the flavor. For example more hops than are authentic or lots of roast flavor. Had a 10% ABV Belgian-ish dark beer in Quebec that was incredible.

For She Who Must be Obeyed, she likes:
    -White ales and wheat beer in general. Nice flavorful cloudy ones for the most part but nothing dark.
    -She likes some IPAs but thinks that Czech pilsners are too bitter to drink which confuses the hell out of me. Maybe likes late hop additions much more than bittering hops even more than I do?
    -Likes Stella Artois a lot for some a reason, so maybe a well-made but not too bitter continental-style beer that's better than the generic German imports we can get in Korea?

Cost isn't much of an object since I'm used to paying through the nose for European imports and absolutely insane prices for the rare American craft beers that I can find in Korea.
    Last edited by Bosh; May 21, 2014, 21:48.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Heady Topper by Alchemist. Currently #1 on beer advocate. It can be hard to find as it's a small Vermont brewery but craft beer stores in NE may have some. My brother and law and I traded for a four pack last month and we did not regret it.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
      Heady Topper by Alchemist. Currently #1 on beer advocate. It can be hard to find as it's a small Vermont brewery but craft beer stores in NE may have some. My brother and law and I traded for a four pack last month and we did not regret it.
      Many thanks, I should be able to find that in Maine just fine. That's going on the list

Anything with that much flavor that's a little bit lower in the ABV than 8% though?
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Black Butte Porter from the Deschutes brewery in Bend Oregon, I can get it here in a very small town

ranks 98 I think

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          Black Butte Porter from the Deschutes brewery in Bend Oregon, I can get it here in a very small town

ranks 98 I think
          *Googles* Hop taste gets described as herbal/earthy. My favorite, sounds nice Some reviewers complained about it being sweet but I don't mind that as long as there's other flavor to balance out the sweetness.

And dark with not too much ABV, exactly what I was after. Many thanks, hope I'll be able to find it in Maine.

Any good brown ales out there? The only ones I've had have been mostly like a stout but less so which was underwhelming or with nasty artificial hazelnut flavor (Brooklyn brewery maybe? Not sure, it was terrible).
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Whats ABV? The IPAs are right next to the BBP

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
              Whats ABV? The IPAs are right next to the BBP
              Alcohol by volume. The BBP has 5.5% alcohol I think. When you have a 5 year old and a 3 year old there's a limit to how much alcohol you can drink, especially since I have ****ty alcohol tolerance due to drinking very little since they were born and I really want to try a good range of top shelf craft brews. Of course a lot of the very best beers have a lot of alcohol (need to grab a Russian Imperial Stout or two) but all else being equal I'd prefer less alcoholic beers.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

the leinenkugel's "big eddy" imperial stout is super tasty. and it's got a kick on it like a mule.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

If you are going to be in Maine, they got a nice brewer in Allagash. (their Curieux in particular is a Triple, aged in Bourbon barrels - ABV of 11% if it helps any )

Oh, and they have a White Ale for the lady.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    If you are going to be in Maine, they got a nice brewer in Allagash. (their Curieux in particular is a Triple, aged in Bourbon barrels - ABV of 11% if it helps any )

Oh, and they have a White Ale for the lady.
                    Yeah last time I was in Maine the only local beer I had was from Shipyard (tasty but not spectacular) and Atlantic Brewing Company (cutesy stuff for tourists that my step-father loves for some reason) really want to try more local Maine stuff so it's good to hear that Allagash is good.

Apparently Maine Beer Company is good stuff, will have to try that, didn't remember seeing any last time.
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Allagash is available nationwide in oretty much any large beer store, so make sure you are going for one of their limited editions that don't leave the state.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Maine and Vermont are both well known for their new craft cider and craft meaderies so I'd check some of those out. WRT beer, I'll make some suggestions when I get home.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Will have to try some mead, never had much with honey except for some homebrew I made which tasted wonderful and some Ethiopian mead which was OK, tasted more like white wine than anything.
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I like root beer, personally. There's this one place I go to that serves birch beer. Mmm.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Man, Bosh, I haven't seen you in ages! WB--to the OT, at least.

I don't drink beer, so I can't help you there.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X