Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Back

Hi guys

I will update you on a couple of things.

I have finished Arabic Studies as well as Historical Studies. In fact my both theses were very much praised. And I'm quite proud of the second one.

I've been translating this chronicle which I once mentioned. It became my PHD. Well, I haven't formally finished it, but the translation is finished. Several hundred pages of Arabic text!

I've been working at some Polish university, teaching Arabic and Arab history. Unlike what you may think, I was trying to be balanced there

I wuv my students, but the pay was horrible, no social security, no job security, and an insane lady... which is another story. Lets just say that I corrected a student who used to be taught by her, thinking she knows correct grammar, but she didn't... so Hell ensued.

At least I used to like my students, and many liked me. F.e. one recently (it was my birthday yesterday you forgetful bunch ) one of the students told me she had many great lectures, but it was only during mine that she actually cried of laughter. And I do recall she did that. And she's one of the people I didn't allow to next grade. Another person whom I didn't want to sign papers until she took the test again also told me that "students should build a statue of me made of sugar" for being so nice for them. So I guess it was fine at least at some points. And they want me back there... but I won't come back.

I had a deep crisis at some point, but I crawled out.

But I had luck. It was always my dream to visit Cairo, the biggest centre of historical Muslim architecture in the world, and a place where the person I wrote my first thesis about lived. And I wanted to practice my Arabic a bit.

During this course I've met my friend who worked there... and eventually I took on his job, at some factory.
    I've spent 9 months (with some breaks) in Egypt altogether. Had lots of "adventures", good and bad.
    I've met lots of nice people, but also quite a few bad ones.
    I've learnt a lot of Arabic... and worked hard...
    I've been translating at bureaus, ovens, magazines, workshops, shops, pharmacies, hospitals, offices, just everywhere.
    I neglected my friends often, my sleep, my health... You wouldn't believe some things that were happening.

Buuuuuut
    The other translator, an old, lewd, illiterate, lazy, treacherous bastard, was spreading rumors about me in the factory. Which grew and grew and apparently caused me much trouble. And I knew that. But I was ignoring that, because I simply didn't know what to do and the options I had were sort of not my style. So I guess I just let it happen. The funny things is that these rumors were actually mostly false... but oh well.

I am very bitter about it, honestly. And I wonder how do they manage without me.
    Because, as one guy told "don't you kid that you're not coming back! They won't be able to even put a finger up their asses without you" ha ha ha.

But I guess it's not enough to be useful. One has to be ruthless to others, trust no-one...
    Not have family members visiting Israel etc...
    Well, and not be gay. Even if you actually aren't sleeping with anyone for some time and just talk, some people will think everyone you meet is your lover or something.

The funny thing is also that the other translator, well, I could say much about him to Egyptians and wouldn't have to lie to make him look bad. But I didn't want to do it.

I am looking for a new job. In theory I am in a much better position now, having much experience and stuff.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Heresson
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just for Herreson!

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Welcome back and good luck in the job hunt

Oh... and
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Welcome back, Heresson!
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Don't worry Heresson, no one returns here from a lengthy hiatus if their life is going well.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Welcome back frogman !
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

nice to see you herra
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Good to see you! Hope you can get a good job without all the office politics!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Office politics are the best part of many jobs.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                    X