Guns Don't Kill People--They Calculate Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns Don't Kill People--They Calculate Pi

If you’ve ever wondered how to estimate pi using a Mossberg 500 pump-action shotgun, a sheet of aluminium foil and some clever mathematics, look no further

Imagine the following scenario. The end of civilisation has occurred, zombies have taken over the Earth and all access to modern technology has ended. The few survivors suddenly need to know the value of π and, being a mathematician, they turn to you. What do you do?

If ever you find yourself in this situation, you’ll be glad of the work of Vincent Dumoulin and Félix Thouin at the Université de Montréal in Canada. These guys have worked out how to calculate an approximate value of π using the distribution of pellets from a Mossberg 500 pump-action shotgun, which they assume would be widely available in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

(Not sure why we're only getting capital pi. Probably because this method is only approximate.)
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Grab and eat their brains, as I will most certainly be a zombie during the apocalypse.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I'm pretty sure 3.14 is a good enough approximation in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        civilization
        Fixed.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
          I'm pretty sure 3.14 is a good enough approximation in the event of a zombie apocalypse.
          Indeed. We have to postulate some distant future in which mathematicians understand the concept of pi and the Monte Carlo method but not the value of pi. I suspect this would occur after some Christian-based apocalypse where all references to pi have been replaced with 3.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Pah. Even Mirriam needs Pi.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
            X