Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientists create first living organism that transmits added letters in DNA 'alphabet'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists create first living organism that transmits added letters in DNA 'alphabet'

Originally posted by Science Daily
    Scientists create first living organism that transmits added letters in DNA 'alphabet'

Scientists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) have engineered a bacterium whose genetic material includes an added pair of DNA "letters," or bases, not found in nature. The cells of this unique bacterium can replicate the unnatural DNA bases more or less normally, for as long as the molecular building blocks are supplied.

"Life on Earth in all its diversity is encoded by only two pairs of DNA bases, A-T and C-G, and what we've made is an organism that stably contains those two plus a third, unnatural pair of bases," said TSRI Associate Professor Floyd E. Romesberg, who led the research team. "This shows that other solutions to storing information are possible and, of course, takes us closer to an expanded-DNA biology that will have many exciting applications -- from new medicines to new kinds of nanotechnology."

The report on the achievement appears May 7, 2014, in an advance online publication of the journal Nature.

Many Challenges

Romesberg and his laboratory have been working since the late 1990s to find pairs of molecules that could serve as new, functional DNA bases -- and, in principle, could code for proteins and organisms that have never existed before.

The task hasn't been a simple one. Any functional new pair of DNA bases would have to bind with an affinity comparable to that of the natural nucleoside base-pairs adenine-thymine and cytosine-guanine. Such new bases also would have to line up stably alongside the natural bases in a zipper-like stretch of DNA. They would be required to unzip and re-zip smoothly when worked on by natural polymerase enzymes during DNA replication and transcription into RNA. And somehow these nucleoside interlopers would have to avoid being attacked and removed by natural DNA-repair mechanisms.

Despite these challenges, by 2008 Romesberg and his colleagues had taken a big step towards this goal; in a study published that year, they identified sets of nucleoside molecules that can hook up across a double-strand of DNA almost as snugly as natural base pairs and showed that DNA containing these unnatural base pairs can replicate in the presence of the right enzymes. In a study that came out the following year, the researchers were able to find enzymes that transcribe this semi-synthetic DNA into RNA.

But this work was conducted in the simplified milieu of a test tube. "These unnatural base pairs have worked beautifully in vitro, but the big challenge has been to get them working in the much more complex environment of a living cell," said Denis A. Malyshev, a member of the Romesberg laboratory who was lead author of the new report.
    Continues..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...cienceDaily%29

Wow, an organism with different DNA to anything else on earth. That's some amazing work. Surely someone just earned themselves a Nobel?

Technically, every organism but clones (and identical twins ) has different DNA to anyting else on earth
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I don't think you understand the article. All natural DNS is a binary (or Base 2) encoding scheme. They have created an organism with a trinary (or Base 3) encoding scheme. This is truly alien DNA and could result in complex creatures with much shorter DNA sequences.
      Last edited by pchang; May 8, 2014, 11:06.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

... and so it begins
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Wasn't this in an X-Files episode?
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I can't wait to smoke trinary-based-DNA weed
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

...and they've been throwing fits over GMO corn...
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I tried my own experiments with creating marijuana abominations (cannibominations?), adding uranium to the potting soil, dosing them with plant growth hormones, sacrificing the blood of wild animals to Ba'al. But then I forgot to water the plants, and they withered and died.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

aw

I actually use blood meal in my soil after each harvest to "freshen" up the soil for the next round.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                    I don't think you understand the article. All natural DNS is a binary (or Base 2) encoding scheme. They have created an organism with a trinary (or Base 3) encoding scheme. This is truly alien DNA and could result in complex creatures with much shorter DNA sequences.
                    Not unless you create a whole new set of translation enzymes.

I think it would get more use in adding new aminoacids to the ~20 that are currently used.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

There are no genes for coding trunks.
                      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

They call me the mastodon cuz I got the trunk in the front.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                          But Kidicious already posts here....
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            They call me the mastodon cuz I got the trunk in the front.
                            Like the trunk of a car ? Weird.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I made a silicone clone of my unit. If you cover the cost of materials and shipping, I'll make you a clone Sava dong and send it to you
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X