Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest US Death Penalty Controversy

Clayton Lockett writhed and groaned. After 43 minutes, he was declared dead

The Guardian's Katie Fretland was at Oklahoma state penitentiary to witness the state's first double execution since 1937. It soon became clear the procedure had been botched
    The Guardian's Katie Fretland was at Oklahoma state penitentiary to witness the state's first double execution since 1937. It soon became clear the procedure had been botched

Lethal injections: a brief history of botched US executions (that's a pretty long ****ing list!)

White House condemns 'inhumane' execution

Apparently death by torture in the US is OK...

Maybe those that botch executions should be convicted of some kind of unlawful killing charge?
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

As always, I'm universally opposed to the death penalty. But if you're going to do it, I don't really care how it's done. So what if he suffered during the process? Now he's dead.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Amateurs! That's the reason I was sad Thatcher died - I was enjoying watching her suffer...

Comment

this is maybe #13823 on my give a **** list
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So far down your list you were moved to reply!

Comment

It's sad, and it won't change a goddamned thing.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Clayton Lockett’s victim had a name: Stephanie Neiman
              By Mike Hashimoto
              mhashimoto@dallasnews.com
              10:58 am on May 1, 2014 | Permalink

Stephanie Neiman was 19 and two weeks a graduate of Perry High School in Oklahoma, where she played the saxophone in the band. It would be unduly cruel to point out that she had her whole life ahead of her, given what we know today.

On June 3, 1999, Stephanie was driving a friend home in her Chevy pickup and had the misfortune of arriving when three men were there, supposedly attempting to beat a debt out of Bobby Bornt, 23, who lived there with his 9-month-old son.

One man hit Stephanie’s friend with a shotgun and forced her to call Stephanie inside. The men then raped the friend and beat Stephanie, when she refused to give up her truck keys. They bound her with duct tape and drove her to a country road.

Still, she refused to say she wouldn’t call the police on them, so they forced her to her knees and made her watch one gunman dig a grave. When one man shot her, his gun jammed, while Stephanie screamed. The man cleared his weapon and shot her again. Even though she was still breathing, the man ordered his accomplices to bury her, which they did.

It’s not clear whether it took 43 minutes more for her to die, and we can’t ask her now if she suffered.

Stephanie Neiman is the young woman referenced, but not identified by name, in our Page One print-edition story today on Clayton Lockett’s botched execution Tuesday night in McAlester, Okla. His crime was reduced to seven words. Her story is mostly told by Oklahoma media, including News9.com and the Tulsa World.

I’m sorry things didn’t go as humanely for Lockett as the state and most people would have preferred. I’m sorry death penalty opponents believe it gives them a fresh, new reason to prattle on about morality and ethics.

And I’m sorry that his execution changes nothing, big picture or small. He ended up where he should have, just 43 minutes late.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

This thread isn't about her; making emotional appeals to vengeance does nothing to further discussion on the issue.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                  So far down your list you were moved to reply!
                  Be nice. I was going to insult your stupid thread.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And?

He should have spent his entire life being reminded of his crimes - all morons who support the death penalty are doing is cutting his punishment short. Apart from the fact that the execution was botched, you're actually doing HIM a favour by putting HIM out of HIS misery...

Not to mention making killers out of the people that have to carry out the sentence...

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      Be nice. I was going to insult your stupid thread.
                      I am, I just reply to you in kind

If you don't like it, maybe you should take a long hard look in the mirror and change your ways...

Comment

Apart from the fact that the execution was botched, you're actually doing HIM a favour by putting HIM out of HIS misery...
                        You do him more of a favor by RANDOMLY capitalizing YOUR words FOR emphasis.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I am, I just reply to you in kind
                          Wrong. I've only insulted your stupid threads and moronic writing style so far. You've insulted me.

You are the asshole here

oops

there goes my moral high ground
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Nope, you've pretty much insulted me from the get-go. But I'm too lazy to find the most recent examples of what must be years of material to choose from, to quote:

This is maybe #13824 on my give a **** list

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            oops

there goes my moral high ground
                            You never had a moral high ground to lose, Sava, but still deluding yourself that you ever had one.

I like that about you, ever the optimist!

Comment

It's not surprising you would need a lesson in morality.

And apparently, you need to learn the difference between you and the things you write.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X