Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play Age of Empires on Steam? Try my campaigns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Age of Empires on Steam? Try my campaigns!

Haiku of the Ronin is this week's Most Popular workshop item!

"Like a rotten log
    half buried in the ground -
    my life,
    which has not flowered,
    comes to this sad end."

- Minamoto Yorimasa (1106-1180)

Go on a journey to Edo period Japan in the straw sandals of a Ronin seeking a master. Discover kireji to write seven haiku. These seven poems will tell your story. Are your kireji sharper than your katana?

Play a poetic adventure with a branching story-line. The ending changes based on the story you write.

Campaign requires The Forgotten DLC!

Story Snippet

Disgrace.

Disgrace is a kimono unstained with blood. Disgrace is a dry tanto blade. Disgrace is a ronin.

His master died seven years ago but the Ronin chose not to honor his master with a final act of obedience. His devotion was hollow, his honor was stained. In betraying the Bushido Shoshinshu, the Ronin condemned himself to that most empty life for a samurai: a life without a master.

So the Ronin wandered the land of the rising sun for seven years, adrift like a boat without a fisherman on Lake Biwa. His journey would bring him here to another kindred wanderer, the poet Matsuo Basho. On quiet rainy mornings in the garden of their secluded shrine. On sunny afternoons in the shade of the osakazuki maple. And on warm evenings in Basho's sukiya, place for poetic pursuits, over thick matcha tea, the two lonely spirits traded experiences and lines of poetry with the vigor of the shrewdest merchants of Nagasaki. It was Basho's spirited teachings that brought forth a new dawn out of the Ronin's winter sunset. It was Basho who taught the Ronin to see the poetry in life.

And so one day, as the songbird's melody rode a soft summer breeze, the Ronin emerged from his hermitage and set out again onto the world. He would regain his honor. He would find a master. He would write a new life.

Setting

The poem begins on a secluded coast in a region of low land forest. Following a wooded path north then southwest leads to a fishing village honored to be the birthplace of a skilled tayu of an emerging puppet theater genre emanating from Osaka. The trail leaves the village leading north across rich rice paddies irrigated by a stream that flows down a waterfall overlooking the same fishing village. Beyond this stream is the Daimyo's hirajiro, a castle built on a flat plain. The hirajiro is bisected by another stream, across which lies the Daimyo's honmaru, or keep. An island off the coast and somewhere to the south is home to a band of fierce Wako pirates.

History

Haiku noun: a poetic form of 17 on (syllables) which expresses much and suggests more in the fewest possible words; the essence of haiku is kiru (cutting): a juxtaposition of two images linked by a kireji (cutting word)

Ronin noun: a masterless samurai; a 'wave man'; a wandering man; a man adrift

According to the Bushido Shoshinshu (Code of the Samurai), a samurai must commit seppuku (ritual suicide) upon the death of his master. One who chose not to honor the code and consequently become a ronin, or 'wave man', would suffer great shame. Due to the shogunate's rigid class system and laws, the number of ronin greatly increased during the Edo period (1603-1867).

This period was characterized by strict social order, isolationist foreign policies, and popular enjoyment of arts and culture. Matsuo Basho (1644-1694) was the most famous poet of the period. He was recognized for his works in the collaborative haikai no renga form. Although justifiably famous for his haiku, Basho himself believed his best work lay in leading and participating in renku, collaborative linked verse poetry. He is quoted as saying, "Many of my followers can write haiku as well as I can. Where I show who I really am is in linking haikai verses."

Basho made a living as a teacher but, renouncing the urban life, wandered throughout Japan to gain inspiration for his writing. His poetry was influenced by his firsthand experiences of the world around him, encapsulating the feeling of a scene in a few simple elements.

Praise for Haiku of the Ronin

"This is an excellent work that deserves a download and a high rating! The creativity is particularly good as Filthydelphia successfully takes a different spin on AoK scenario design. I can safely say that there is no AoK scenario like this one with regard to uniqueness, and that it is quite a spiritual experience... This entire scenario is, to use an extended metaphor, a pioneering cossack of creativity, blazing new trails as it goes. Who'd have thought about integrating poetry and spiritualism into an AoK scenario?"
    - HockeySam18 (Lead Campaign Designer for The Forgotten development team)

Screenshots

A Ronin and his poet neighbor
    The shrine they share
    The fishing village
    The walls of the hirajiro
    The daimyo's honmaru and gardens
    Writing poetry with Ren
    Seppuku

On Steam
    Discussion at Age of Kings Heaven

If you enjoy this campaign, try Children of a Dying Sun, a four-scenario campaign set in post-conquest Mexico!
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

This promotes the harmful stereotype that Japanese people are good at poetry.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This promotes the harmful stereotype that it's not worth posting in Other Games.

Neat, though.
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        This promotes the harmful stereotype that Japanese people are good at poetry.
        If they're so good at poetry why don't their poems even rhyme?

Comment

Exactly! So stop assigning all your Japanese employees to the poetry division.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Respect to a modder, Al.
            AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
            JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Why can't I play it on the version I installed from the CD?

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                Why can't I play it on the version I installed from the CD?
                Needs to be the re-release (Age of Kings HD) with The Forgotten DLC
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Elitist!
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    Elitist!
                    I don't own the game on the CD anymore plus the HD version and the DLC adds a bunch of new units and objects for the scenario editor (not to mention new civilizations).

Here's promotional screenshots for the DLC showing the Italian and Slavic civilizations:

And this one, from my Children of a Dying Sun campaign shows how I used the Slavic/Magyar building set to make a Spanish hacienda:

Comment

mindless clickathon
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Up 8 days and already 775 subscribers!

Comment

Working...
                        X