Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Carolina clergy challenge state's anti-gay Amendment One on basis of religious freedom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
    Considering this is a new way to challenge anti-gay laws, nationwide, I wanted to know what Imran or other resident lawyers on this site, think of this. Is it a feasible way to challenge the anti-gay laws?

I heard from someone else that this may not work out, because the anti-gay laws against equal marriage does not target religions, per say, and if that's the case, then the challengers using this approach cannot claim that their religious freedom is being denied.
    Can you please list two anti-gay laws?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      Yep. Religious freedom at one time was used to explain away prohibiting interracial marriages. And today, bigots use the cry of religious freedom to explain away anti-gay laws that ban equal marriage rights.

But like I said in the OP, civil rights activists may have a way of turning this appeal of religious freedom on its head, and for an actual good cause, rather than for the cause of bigotry.
      I don't think you understand what freedom is. If I'm free I can worship Satan if I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        Can you please list two anti-gay laws?
        Here's 33 for you.

Current gay marriage bans:

26 by Constitutional Amendment and State Law
        Alabama (2006, 1998), Alaska (1998, 1996), Arizona (2008, 1996), Arkansas (2004, 1997), Colorado (2006, 2000), Florida (2008, 1997), Georgia (2004, 1996), Idaho (2006, 1996), Kansas (2005, 1996), Kentucky (2004, 1998), Louisiana (2004, 1999), Michigan (2004, 1996), Mississippi (2004, 1997), Missouri (2004, 1996), Montana (2004, 1997), North Carolina (2012, 1995), North Dakota (2004, 1997), Ohio (2004, 2004), Oklahoma (2004, 1996), South Carolina (2006, 1996), South Dakota (2006, 1996), Tennessee (2006, 1996), Texas (2005, 1997), Utah (2004, 1997), Virginia (2006, 1997), Wisconsin (2006, 1979)

3 by Constitutional Amendment only
        Nebraska (2000), Nevada (2002), Oregon (2004)

4 by State Law only
        Indiana (1997), Pennsylvania (1996), West Virginia (2000), Wyoming (2003)

You're welcome.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Also, Republicans like to talk about returning the US to the way it was in the past. Well, before 2004, these laws mostly didn't exist (except for 2, I believe). It's kind of strange that the party running to preserve the past has been so actively, legislatively. The problem with this particular instance of civil rights abuse is that it was not a longstanding matter of law. Bigots came together in 2004 to ban gay marriage in so many states because Karl Rove made it an issue... and it helped win Bush a second term... Bush's second term destroyed our economy, the inept leadership and management of that administration screwed up Iraq and Afghanistan even worse.

And the pieces are still being picked up. We're still cleaning up all those messes... including this one.

map of gay marriage bans being passed

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava, even if it were legal for you to marry a man still no one would marry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Every time you post, a gay angel loses its rainbow-colored wings, and falls, literally and figuratively flaming, to the earth. WHY DO YOU HATE THE GAY ANGELS?
              It's raining men.

Comment

Sava, even if it were legal for you to marry a man still no one would marry you.
                Edgy.

You're getting a little better.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
                  It's raining men.
                  halleluiah
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think you understand what freedom is. If I'm free I can worship Satan if I want.
                    But then won't your kind and loving deity make your minute testes drop off and your face to be blasted with emerods ?

Mmmm.

Get worshipping that Mendes goat now!!!!!!
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Kid, you are already following Satan's example. Nobody is saying you can't.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Envy.

Not pretty.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

also, through the serb mafia (old ladies, not actual gangsters... though, I wouldn't wanna mess with them), I could probably get hooked up with a woman fresh off the boat just for a citizenship marriage...

I've actually spent my life trying not to get married.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                            But then won't your kind and loving deity make your minute testes drop off and your face to be blasted with emerods ?

Mmmm.

Get worshipping that Mendes goat now!!!!!!
                            It would be far worse than that. Thank you for your concern (sincere).

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              also, through the serb mafia (old ladies, not actual gangsters... though, I wouldn't wanna mess with them), I could probably get hooked up with a woman fresh off the boat just for a citizenship marriage...

I've actually spent my life trying not to get married.
                              Good comeback

Comment

It would be far worse than that.
                                He'd make you a liberal feminist ?

Halle Berry!

Comment

Working...
                                X