Collecting and remembering online sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting and remembering online sources

As online media and information evolve and improve, I find myself reading less and less printed media and reading articles online, viewing conferences on Youtube, etc.

These sources are very accessible but unfortunately easily forgotten or lost. When I like a book, I simply annotate it with a pencil and keep it in my library. Same with printed media, I cut the article and keep it in a folder. This is harder to do with online articles or videos.

What could be the best method to save and tag the sources you like for annotation/consultation/citation? Database software?

Suggestions please.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Print them out, then make with the pencil and folder.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Ctrl-D - Create bookmark.

Create a separate subfolder: "Sources" if your bookmarks become too cluttered.

I've never had the experience of saving a source for anything. When I was in school, everything I ever used was found online or in university databases. I need to understand the context a bit more. Are you writing academic articles?
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Print them out, take pictures of them on a wooden table and scan the pictures.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Arrange the pages to look like Rebecca Linares and beat it in analog.
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Seriously though - if you're not confident a page will remain up in the future when you need to refer back to it, and preserving the layout/graphics isn't a concern*, File>Save as and you have a copy of all the text preserved that you can browse offline forever.

*If there are pictures of Rebecca Linares on the page, saving each individually is worth the effort.
            AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
            JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              Ctrl-D - Create bookmark.

Create a separate subfolder: "Sources" if your bookmarks become too cluttered.

I've never had the experience of saving a source for anything. When I was in school, everything I ever used was found online or in university databases. I need to understand the context a bit more. Are you writing academic articles?
              1) I write articles and give conferences and need to track sources
              2) I participate in several discussions online where it is useful to post sources
              3) I am writing a book and need to save interesting articles or analysis for further study when I start working on the related chapter
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I hope one of these things offers what you're looking for:

Comment

Gloss, Pocket ... lots of other apps/programs that do this sort of thing. I don't use any of them so couldn't tell you if they're any good or not.

Comment

Evernote Web Clipper
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                    X