No announcement yet.

Syria? Ukraine? No, the USA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diana in King James and Douay Rheims, Artemis in Greek.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Not a big surprise, there - I did say it would be strange to use the Roman name in Greek to Greeks.
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• Roman equivalents were broadly preferred in English until quite recently. Like if you look at books from a few generations ago, it was all Jupiter this and Mars that. Zeus and Ares were hardly in the picture. I don't know what prompted the change.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• An increasing cultural awareness.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• The really funny part was when the crazy gun nuts started fighting among themselves and threatening to shoot each other. This is the natural conclusion for such a collection of idiots, misfits, and brain damaged losers.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Yay for the government! Wait. Wtf for?
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                Roman equivalents were broadly preferred in English until quite recently. Like if you look at books from a few generations ago, it was all Jupiter this and Mars that. Zeus and Ares were hardly in the picture. I don't know what prompted the change.
                I noticed the same thing as a kid - the change happened almost in my lifetime.

I'm pretty sure it was because of the classical education that was standard for everyone as early as high school up until about the early 50s - classical, as in Latin, for the most part.
                AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  The really funny part was when the crazy gun nuts started fighting among themselves and threatening to shoot each other. This is the natural conclusion for such a collection of idiots, misfits, and brain damaged losers.
                  Yep.

I also have a question. Don't any of these militia nutters have jobs or work back home, to go to? Or are they retired? Or living off of welfare from the government they do not recognize?
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                    Every translation of the Bible I'm familiar with uses Dianna consistently - which must have been strange, if so in the original Greek, but it was a Roman world at the time.
                    Ephesus was pretty much still Hellenic in culture- as was much of that part of the world. But yes, the Brits made up nonsense about being descended from Brut who was Trojan/Roman, and so the Brits became the new Roman Empire.

Daft, I know.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post

I also have a question. Don't any of these militia nutters have jobs or work back home, to go to? Or are they retired? Or living off of welfare from the government they do not recognize?
                      I'll answer your questions.

No.
                      Technically, yes.
                      Yes... and they steal what they can't mooch.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• This was a funny story!
                        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Working...
                        X