No announcement yet.

Iran builds a giant carrier shaped barge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are mostly resupplied by ship I think.. Carrier groups include an oiler which carries fuel, food, ammunition, etc. for the other vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      There is a clear reason. To get right-wing nutjobs worked up over it.
      Mission Accomplished- as one right wing trustafarian said.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        That seems a very expensive way to resupply. If supply is the only issue, why not just resupply by sea.
        The main reason to go to port is so that the crew can get off for leave.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Who doesn't want to get off with an Iranian model?
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            That seems a very expensive way to resupply. If supply is the only issue, why not just resupply by sea.
            They do replenish by sea. It does make sense to also use helicopters to expedite the process.

But at any given moment, most of our carrier fleet is at home, either in port being maintained or conducting training in American waters. We only have 2-4 carriers deployed at a time.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Could the model be a set for a movie?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                If it is, I wanna see it

Comment

Some comments:

1. While a CSG might deploy with five or six ships attached rarely are they together. Generally the carrier will have one ship nearby (in nautical terms within a couple hundred miles) and everyone else will be off doing other missions. In time of was they could be brought together and they will plus up to transit a strait or some such but simply sitting in screens all the time is a waste of billions of dollars.

2. Carriers do not have to pull into port for anything other than the most serious of maintenance needs, I believe the record is held by USS Theodore Roosavelt at 170ish days of continuous underway time. The only real limit on a carrier's endurance is food (it generally carries enough jet fuel for most normal operations short of war) and critical repair parts. The food it gets via underway replenishment (sometimes augmented with helos) and the parts and any other important small cargo via COD flights.

3. Two or three operating is the norm unless we are at 2.0 presence in the 5th Fleet and one of those is generally a carrier transiting to relieve or heading home after having been relieved.

4. Most sailors on a carrier are not armed or qualified to be armed in the case of a boarding, plenty are or would be though and out of 6000 people you are talking hundreds of qualified watch standees that could be called upon. The real reason a boarding wouldn't work on a vessel manned at carrier levels is that it's a steel structure full of watertight steel doors. It would be a trivial exercise for most of the ship to lock out intruders.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

(Thanks for the correction Patroklos!)

Check out this quality Iranian construction:

Last edited by regexcellent; March 23, 2014, 22:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      Yes.

All the crimes of Heliogabalus - soon to be a major motion picture.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                        Who doesn't want to get off with an Iranian model?
                        Male model ?

Not this one, thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iranian-President-vows-to-not-develop-nuclear-capabilities-650x487.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	9100338

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You could do a lot worse.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                            You could do a lot worse.
                            I've consistently done better.

However, in a smiling grandfather/uncle contest he would place. It's a genuine smile too, if you look at the eyes as well.

Comment

Yeah; he's old, he's not thin and the turban isn't helping - but I'm an artist, and I see a little beauty in the middle-eastern-Hedi's-grandpa thing he's got going...

Actually, I just saved that shot as possible SMACX leaderhead fodder.

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                              X