Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Smilies (so nag <s>Aeson</s> <s>Ming</s> ME to install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Smilies (so nag <s>Aeson</s> <s>Ming</s> ME to install)

(For some background, see here: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/2...emoticon-Aeson )

Click image for larger version

Name:	BastardWin.gif
Views:	3
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	9135906
    (And it will amuse many to learn that I made that on top of a dancing arrow Click image for larger version

Name:	DancingArrow.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	9135907 I once altered from the banana, because the bottom was already squared off. [Save a copy now, 'cause we know how uptight the management is here.])

...So. We come here to kill time, and when you have a good idea to work with, making your own smilies are a lot of fun. So I propose that we waste a lot of Aeson's precious time with new smilies we nag him to install...

If you don't know how, but are interested, I can talk you through how I do it with GIMP -which is easy to google and download for free- and one imagines that others will know a few easier ways, too.

A smilie starts with an idea. I thought of something that would make a good example, and in GIMP, File>New>45x45>ok. -That gave me, you guessed it, a 45x45 pixel block to work with - that's not a lot of pixels to work with to draw something that looks like something, but about as tall as you want to ever go, and only then for the occasional animation.

Then Layer>Transparency>Add Alpha Channel. Then [Ctrl]a>Delete. -Which yields a transparent background to draw on, something you always want for any smilie that isn't still and square. Then I fiddled around until I'd drawn the following innocent example:

Name:	PandaScreeny.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	9135908

-Teddy bears are easy to draw.

Then I realized it needed to show up against white backgrounds so I outlined the white with gray - then fiddled around with how dark

Name:	PandaScreeny2.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	9135909

And after a certain amount of tweaking, Image>Mode>Indexed (to only 3 colors -which will help keep the file size small, something to always strive for) and saved the result as a .gif:

Name:	InnocentExample.gif
Size:	270 Bytes
ID:	9135911

Coming Soon: a simple animation of the black and white teddy bear...
    Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; March 17, 2014, 01:28. Reason: black background
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Last edited by loinburger; March 13, 2014, 01:53.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

uhm
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Did make any of those, loin? Which of the leatherboys is which poster?

No pasarán

Comment

those are oddly arousing
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I really like the Ming smiley.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

i think you guys are on to somethng
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                  So wrong but so very funny. You should do a latex clad nun for Sister Bendy. Um, I mean make a smiley of a .....
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                    Did make any of those, loin? Which of the leatherboys is which poster?
                    No, I have no idea how to make animated gifs - I found most of them, and requested that a poster on another site make the smilie of the disco dude jizzing clown balloons
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Okay - ideas are welcome; we should definitely be kicking around ideas.

I may even want to take a run at some, keeping in mind that, dancing arrow not withstanding, I'm probably gonna pass on the dirty/gross ones.

Molly, maybe an Obiwan shot w/robes redrawn, doing a little hip shimmy?

I note that these are today official... That's not the only benefit of funny smilies, but it's the gold metal. Aeson is totally naggable when he likes the idea... Y'all go look at the :wiglaf: tries I did, and post suggestions.

No pasarán

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

yay!
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

what a weird age we live in
                            [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

Working...
                            X