Thief: Garrett's Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief: Garrett's Back!

Got a lot of criticism in previews but that sure looked a lot like classic Thief. Plus the customization options are ridiculous.

Classic Thief Mods

Chapter Save Only: manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
    No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
    Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
    No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.

Legendary Thief Mods

Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
    No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
    It Hurts Not: if you take any damage, the mission is failed.
    Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
    Slowed Movement: running and walking speeds are reduced.

Ultimate Thief Mods

Iron Man: if you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
    No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
    No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
    No Alerts: if a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.

Out February 25th
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

I'm still not going to preorder. Will wait for reviews. Why does he live in a clocktower now, like a ****ing Batman?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I wonder if I could run it on my (relatively old - newly built around Civ5's release) PC. Or on my XBox360. I don't game much anymore, but I have a week off conveniently shortly after this comes out, and would have some interest in giving it a go if it's any good. The original two were awesome games of a kind not seen any longer
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Garrett? President Walker?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Garrett? President Walker?
          What? The thief in the Thief series is named Garrett.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Leif Garrett's a thief now?
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Responses to leaked copies are negative. Maybe I'll get Dishonored instead at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Responses to leaked copies are negative. Maybe I'll get Dishonored instead at some point.
                  Yes. Apparently the new Thief is very linear. That's disappointing.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What? The thief in the Thief series is named Garrett.
                    Whoosh....
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Whoosh....
                      I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. President Walker. I googled him and found he's a character on a tv show.

That's not whoosh worthy. You have no right to expect me to know about an character on a tv show. This thread is clearly about a video game character that predates that character by 15 years. You're not being clever so you get no whoosh.

Comment

Sneaky Bastards have panned the game.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. President Walker. I googled him and found he's a character on a tv show.

That's not whoosh worthy. You have no right to expect me to know about an character on a tv show. This thread is clearly about a video game character that predates that character by 15 years. You're not being clever so you get no whoosh.

Just 'A' TV show? My Lord, you are out of touch.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            Sneaky Bastards have panned the game.
                            Yeah it got bad reviews. 6.8 from IGN; 6/10 from Gamespot.

The common complaints are the story is weak, the world not immersive (broken by disjointed segments marred by a ton of loading screens), the AI sucks, and the game is just overall inconsistent. It has great flashes of the old Thief mixed with problems.

From Gamespot:

As Thief seesawed up and down, my enjoyment of it followed suit. Each time I thought I might fall in love, the game doused my passions with a new annoyance. There was the bug that had me swimming in place on top of some boards I'd leapt to. (Thank goodness for reloadable checkpoints!) There were the times I scratched my head wondering why I couldn't take cover behind one crate but could behind an identical one. (The rules of locomotion are never absolutely clear.) But then the love affair was rekindled the moment I pinched out a candle's flame and yanked a dowager's earrings from her lobes unnoticed. (Unrealistic, certainly, but joyful nonetheless.) Whether you are new to the series or cut your teeth on Thief's particular brand of stealth when it was still novel, I'd wager your feelings will waver as often as mine did. The Thief-franchise-inspired Dishonored waves the stealth flag far more confidently than this reboot does. Garrett is not yet on his way out, but he's been shown the door.
                            I may still Redbox it just to play it. There clearly are some enjoyable missions and moments that might be worth the $4 cost of a weekend rental.

Just 'A' TV show? My Lord, you are out of touch.
                            I don't watch tv shows. It's not my thing.

Just because somebody doesn't know or care about something you like doesn't mean he's worthy of shame.

And I fail to see the relevance of the television show to this thread. Did you just namedrop just to namedrop?

Comment

I've never played this game, or the original. But are there supposed to be any mods that aren't variants on "make the game harder by taking away some aspect of play?"
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X