Who is Lord Voldemort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Lord Voldemort?

China and Japan compare each other to Lord Voldemort, crossing line that cannot be uncrossed

Dan Selcke Jan 14, 2014 • 2:39PM
    Japan and China have always had an antagonistic relationship—and after several failed invasions and a pair of Sino-Japanese wars, this can only be expected. But relations between the two countries have reached a new low, now that each has compared the other to Lord Voldemort, megalomaniacal dark wizard and the primary antagonist of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter book series.

The war of words began after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visited the Yasukuni Shrine, built to honor those who have died in service to Japan. As of 1978, the honored dead include several Japanese soldiers who were convicted of war crimes committed against Chinese citizens during World War II, a fact that has caused tension between the two nations before. And now Liu Xiaoming, China's ambassador to the UK, has put that tension into literary terms, criticizing the visit while also giving a big hint as to how he passes the time on those long flights between London and Beijing:

In the Harry Potter story, the dark wizard Voldemort dies hard because the seven horcruxes, which contain parts of his soul, have been destroyed. If militarism is like the haunting Voldemort of Japan, the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo is a kind of horcrux, representing the darkest parts of that nation’s soul.
    Japan's ambassador to Great Britain, Keiichi Hayashi, quickly responded in kind, although with a slightly less nuanced knowledge of Potter particulars:

East Asia is now at a crossroads. There are two paths open to China. One is to seek dialogue, and abide by the rule of law. The other is to play the role of Voldemort in the region by letting loose the evil of an arms race and escalation of tensions, although Japan will not escalate the situation from its side.
    The ambassadors' inboxes were no doubt promptly flooded with letters from Harry Potter fans advising them on the finer points of Potter mythology—and maybe even a few from concerned citizens about the ongoing conflicts between their countries.
    On one hand Japan is a nation of nigh invulnerable immortals obsessed with racial purity and whose criminals are known for their tattoos and self-mutilation. On the other hand, the Chinese are ****ing nuts.
    China
    0.00%
    Japan
    10.00%
    France
    90.00%
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

****. This is a really tough call. Can they both be voldemort?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Well Voldemort looked really powerful and strong, but lost. So, France it is.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

France. Freedom Fries forever! ;-)
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

And [spoiler alert] didn't Voldemort stick part of himself into a young Harry Potter? Sounds like something the French would do.[/spoiler alert]
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

It is pretty clear that France wins this contest.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Could they be Sauron and Sarumon?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Chinese ambassadors read JK Rowling. Good to know. Next, they'll be quoting Twilight.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Let's just hope they don't start reading Hunger Games.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                  X