Gourmet Vending Machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourmet Vending Machines?

I have to admit I didn't see this coming but apparently there has been a big push by companies to develop higher quality (and higher priced) vending machines. This allows companies to sell higher end products without having to pay as many staff, it costs less than paying rent on a whole store, and supposedly can still deliver fairly high quality and freshness to customers. Let's go over a few of the recent innovations, shall we?

The grand daddy of them all is a German company in Berlin called Floris Feinfost which gets around Germany's strict labor laws (such as store hours and closing times) by offering high end things like French Champagne, fancy flavored salts, sweets, etc... Out of vending machines which are open 24/7. Prices range from 2 Euros to 20 Euros.

http://www.psfk.com/2013/07/gourmet-food-vending-machine.html#!r6K91

The items are refreshed every day and it basically has sliding see through doors so when a customer buys something the door unlocks and the customer removes that item.

Next we have an exclusive luxury goods producer from Beverley Hills who normally only sells its items from a store boutique by appointment only, meaning no walk in customers are accepted, and there is normally a hefty service fee unless the customer buys several thousand dollars during his appointment time. This helps to maintain the air of exclusivity. The company does want to increase sales of some of its more popular items though so they've set up a vending machine selling caviar, escargot, truffles, etc... With prices running as high as $500 per item.

This year has already seen a surprising number of innovations in vending machines, from the EatWave that cooks select items to the Let's Pizza which actually makes fresh pizza from scratch. Now one company has produced a vending machine designed for more discerning (and wealthy) palates. Gourmet…

Then there are the more proletarian yet still higher than normal vending machines which are designed to make food items on the spot or sell higher quality food items which you wouldn't normally find in vending machines. This is the largest segment of the new gourmet vending machine trend as well as the fastest growing and we're seeing these things popping up all over the country. They sell stuff like gourmet ice cream at airports, make a burrito of your choice for you on the spot, make a pizza especially for you in just minutes, custom brew coffee with beans of your choice which are ground on the spot, make fresh french fries for you, etc...

So what do folks think of this trend? Is it hear to stay or is it just a passing fad? Also would you make use of any of these vending machines or would you never touch the stuff?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Do you weigh like 500 lbs?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Considering how many times I've gotten a snack from a vending machine to read that the expiration date has already passed, I meet this concept with considerable suspicion. Even with many guarantees, it would be hard for me to get over this hurdle.
      Considering the technology vending machines that have popped up everywhere, I don't think this is a passing trend. It makes too much sense. It's really not that different than ordering something online.

I would need considerable positive experiences with more elaborate food vending machines before they would become a regular source of food for me in the future.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

.Click image for larger version

Name:	20japan.xlarge1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	9096069
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'm thinking of products I need conveniently or would want on a whim and almost none of them would make sense to sell in a vending machine. This might be fine for people with more money than sense or taste
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I wonder if sous vide vending machines could be constructed. I wouldn't mind getting some sous vide chicken breast from them instead of listening to the pump next door for 24 hours.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

A trucker I know saw a vending machine with hot bologna sandwiches.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Had to be Philly.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                  I wonder if sous vide vending machines could be constructed. I wouldn't mind getting some sous vide chicken breast from them instead of listening to the pump next door for 24 hours.
                  This is the probably some upper echelon ridiculous for a vending machine.
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

More and more things will be done by machine and manual labor may soon become a thing of the past.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I am addicKted to one-starring Oerdin-Thrades™ Because it is so much fun!
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Do you weigh like 500 lbs?
                        Not even close!

But since we're talking about food I was saddened to learn Trader Joe's is now out of their Triple Ginger Brew because it was the best.

I realize I may be placing myself into a somewhat narrow age bracket here, but do any of you remember Trogdor from Strong Bad's emails on ...

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                          More and more things will be done by machine and manual labor may soon become a thing of the past.
                          Thanks 1962!

Comment

Yes, but now we have Google driverless cars.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Pchang was the guy who turned me on to Trader Joe's Ginger Beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X