No announcement yet.

The NSA Has Been Opening Your Packages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NSA Has Been Opening Your Packages!

(I saw this on another forum and thought I would share it here.)

So they can install spyware!

SPIEGEL published two pieces this morning about the NSA's Tailored Access Operations (TAO) division, aka premier hacking ninja squad. According to Snowden documents, TAO has a catalog of all the commercial equipment that carries NSA backdoors. And it's a who's who of a list. Storage products from Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor and Samsung have backdoors in their firmware, firewalls from Juniper Networks have been compromised, plus networking equipment from Cisco and Huawei, and even unspecified products from Dell. TAO actually intercepts online orders of these and other electronics to bug them.

SPIEGEL notes that the documents do not provide any evidence that the manufacturers mentioned had any idea about this NSA activity. Every company spokesperson contacted by Spiegel reporters denied having any knowledge of the situation, though Dell officials said instead that the company "respects and complies with the laws of all countries in which it operates."
    More at the link, but I think that at this point, the only sensible thing to do is completely shutdown the NSA and bar its employees from ever working for or with the government again.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Huawei? That is a rather amusing notion.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Perhaps Huawei just indiscriminately copied the spyware, along with everything else they ripped off from Cisco? Anyway, the hot news a few months back said that the NSA had been deliberately undermining new encryption standards, which is at least as worrisome. This seems a waste of time for CATCHING THE TERRISTS purposes, but doesn't surprise me.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

One-starring Oerdin-Thrades™ is an artform.
        Last edited by ZEE; January 8, 2014, 01:56.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I had been wondering who had been eating my chocolates
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
            I had been wondering who had been eating my chocolates
            Next time replace the chocolates in your packages with chocolate coated dog excrement. Send it to someone you don't like, just in case it makes it through "customs"

Comment

I read that half of all internet traffic is from bots. If the NSA is really monitoring all that, I suspect they are wasting a lot of time and money.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Did the NSA reset the forum just now? I was abruptly logged out.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  I suspect they are wasting a lot of time and money.
                  I know they are wasting a lot of time and money.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                  X