Damn capitalist pigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn capitalist pigs!

So last Thursday I bought six bags of candy (for about $15), the good stuff, thinking that would be enough for the number of trick or treaters we get in this neighborhood and I even sprang for the good stuff (snickers, butterfingers, peanut butter cups, etc...). Only my roommates/friends went and ate 90% of it. So, anyway, I go to the Supermarket this evening to buy some more candy, about six bags, and suddenly the price had jumped up to ~$40! Those damn capitalists know that the cheapskates shop early and look for bargains but if you're shopping for candy at 4:15pm on Halloween night then you're stuck paying what ever price they feel like charging. That's almost a 300% mark up over a week ago.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It'll be real cheap tomorrow. I might pick some up then.

Also, tie your roommates up with an "egg the piggies $5" sign, in lieu of candy. They learn their lesson, the kids have their fun, you save money, win-win-win.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Price gouging isn't capitalistm:

Originally posted by Adam Smith
      When the government, in order to remedy the inconveniences of a dearth, orders all the dealers to sell their corn at what it supposes a reasonable price, it either hinders them from bringing it to market, which may sometimes produce a famine even in the beginning of the season; or if they bring it thither, it enables the people, and thereby encourages them to consume it so fast as must necessarily produce a famine before the end of the season. The unlimited, unrestrained freedom of the corn trade, as it is the only effectual preventative of the miseries of a famine, so it is the best palliative of the inconveniences of a dearth; for the inconveniences of a real scarcity cannot be remedied, they can only be palliated. No trade deserves more the full protection of the law, and no trade requires it so much, because no trade is so much exposed to popular odium.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        So last Thursday I bought six bags of candy (for about $15), the good stuff, thinking that would be enough for the number of trick or treaters we get in this neighborhood and I even sprang for the good stuff (snickers, butterfingers, peanut butter cups, etc...). Only my roommates/friends went and ate 90% of it. So, anyway, I go to the Supermarket this evening to buy some more candy, about six bags, and suddenly the price had jumped up to ~$40! Those damn capitalists know that the cheapskates shop early and look for bargains but if you're shopping for candy at 4:15pm on Halloween night then you're stuck paying what ever price they feel like charging. That's almost a 300% mark up over a week ago.
        Strange, that never happens to me at Walmart.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          They put price controls on everything here after the earthquake. We'll all starve by Christmas

Comment

Did you even read what you posted, you dimwitted ****?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The term "capitalism" didn't even exist in Adam Smith's lifetime so you won't find a definition of it in the Wealth of Nations. Oh, and as someone pointed out there's nothing in that block of text that opposes price gouging.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                It'll be real cheap tomorrow. I might pick some up then.
                I'm offended you would take advantage of the post-Halloween plight of retailers who have too much candy on their hands, you slimy urchin.

Comment

What kind of grown-ass man has roommates?
                  I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Comment

Social ones on house arrest!

Buy a new 2012 FIAT 500 Abarth @ http://FIATofMapleShade.com and be the first Bad Boy on your street!Not all bad boys are created equal -- Meet the FIAT 500 ...

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      The term "capitalism" didn't even exist in Adam Smith's lifetime so you won't find a definition of it in the Wealth of Nations. Oh, and as someone pointed out there's nothing in that block of text that opposes price gouging.
                      Worse, it said that price controls in a time of scarcity are the worst intrusions on the free market.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Captain ******* Kirk View Post
                        What kind of grown-ass man has roommates?
                        I rent out a couple of my extra rooms to friends. For a while it was just my ex and I here but after we broke up I got kind of lonely and one of my friends needed a place to stay since he was getting divorced and then some how I ended up with another friend moving in. I'm like the crazy cat lady but collect divorced friends.
                        Last edited by Dinner; October 31, 2013, 23:37.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Wow. Even your lifestyle choices are wrong.
                          I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Comment

I rent out a couple of my extra rooms to friends. For a while it was just my ex and I here but after we broke up I got kind of lonely and one of my friends needed a place to stay since he was getting divorced and then some how I ended up with another friend moving in. I'm like the crazy cat lady but collected divorced friends.

We'll want pictures when you mount their heads.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It's a little thing called "supply and demand".
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X