No announcement yet.

Why so expensive, America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sava's absolute refusal to discuss this with even a modicum of honesty is really starting to get annoying. Should we crown him the new Burger King?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
      The inhabited farming area of Canada is pretty easy to see from space. I've circled much of it; the remainder is mostly in southern Ontario between Ottawa and Windsor (in the aforementioned Quebec-Windsor corridor).

There's a bit more than that, but yeah that's the bulk of it.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
        Sava's absolute refusal to discuss this with even a modicum of honesty is really starting to get annoying. Should we crown him the new Burger King?
        I'm being honest. You guys are making false assumptions and not supporting them with evidence. On that rare occasions you do, it goes against everything you say.

But I guess I'm a liar (in addition to a religious fundamentalist) for not believing in something without evidence.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
          Yes. And it was proven to have a negligible effect on the overall cost.
          No. It wasn't. As a matter of fact, you haven't proven a god damn thing in this whole thread, except that you're too stubborn to admit that you made a mistake.

Comment

No. It wasn't. As a matter of fact, you haven't proven a god damn thing in this whole thread, except that you're too stubborn to admit that you made a mistake.
            I'm not putting forth any arguments. I'm only challenging yours. You don't get a presumption of being correct just because the things you say "feel right".
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes. And it was proven to have a negligible effect on the overall cost.
              Originally posted by Sava View Post
              I'm not putting forth any arguments. I'm only challenging yours. You don't get a presumption of being correct just because the things you say "feel right".
              Which is it?

Comment

But that bit of conjecture is wrong. You are making assumption about population distribution without showing any of the actual infrastructure of those cable lines.

The 50+ million people in the northeastern US should be much easier to serve than the 15-20 million people living in the Windsor/Quebec corridor... precisely for the reasons your own reasons.

This discussion keeps going back to the same point... that US internet providers must be somehow giving charity to rural customers by providing them service.

BTW, this is service that most rural areas in the US don't even have.

So even that bit of the argument is baseless.

Not a single bit of "conjecture" in this thread is based on fact.

Assumption + assumption + assumption doesn't equal fact.

Actually, there's been quite a bit posted in support of what you are arguing against.

The pertinant info of the NE megalopolis and the Q-W corridor would that the rates charged subscribers in those areas more than cover the cost of providing the service, while that is not always the case for the service delivered to some 'rural' subscribers. The money to cover the shortfalls has to come from somewhere. In Canada it is from the rates paid by urban customers and it seems to be that way in the US also (links posted earlier).

As to which side has facts and which has only conjecture, I'm happy to leave that for readers to decide.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm being honest. You guys are making false assumptions and not supporting them with evidence. On that rare occasions you do, it goes against everything you say.

But I guess I'm a liar (in addition to a religious fundamentalist) for not believing in something without evidence.
                  I've even gone and grabbed ****ing satellite photos to prove my point. What more do you want?

Comment

Which is it?
                    Let me clear it up.

The point in question was not proven to be true... rather than proven false.

Happy?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      I've even gone and grabbed ****ing satellite photos to prove my point. What more do you want?
                      I don't see a map of fiberoptic infrastructure.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I guess we should all take a break and try to remember what Dinner had to say about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                          Actually, there's been quite a bit posted in support of what you are arguing against.
                          There is a complete lack of factual evidence.

Again, that is my only point.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Felch. I thought you were a pothead? You are pretty angry for a pothead.

Also, this is a lot of fun.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Every reason you guys have come up with has been proven wrong.
                              Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              Let me clear it up.

The point in question was not proven to be true... rather than proven false.

Happy?
                              Why should I be happy? You won't be happy until we show a map with every meter of fiber optic cable in Canada on it?

Comment

Why should I be happy? You won't be happy until we show a map with every meter of fiber optic cable in Canada on it?
                                That's true. Because in order to prove your point about the cost of internet infrastructure, we kind of need to see a cost analysis.... of internet infrastructure.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X