Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why private prisons are such a terrible, terrible thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why private prisons are such a terrible, terrible thing.

It's a really long article, but well worth a read if you still are not convinced that allowing the private sector into law enforcement/incarceration is a bad thing.

Originally posted by HP
    Florida's Lax Oversight Enables Systemic Abuse At Private Youth Prisons

Youth Services International confronted a potentially expensive situation. It was early 2004, only three months into the private prison company’s $9.5 million contract to run Thompson Academy, a juvenile prison in Florida, and already the facility had become a scene of documented violence and neglect.
    The Huffington Post uploaded and annotated the documents — including court transcripts, police reports, audits and inspection records — uncovered during this investigation.
    Hover over the highlighted passages to see the source document behind each fact.
    Browse the documents behind this report »

One guard had fractured an inmate’s elbow after the boy refused instructions to throw away a cup, according to incident reports. Another guard had slammed a boy’s head into the floor after an argument. The prison was infested with ants and cockroaches, toilets were frequently clogged and children reported finding bugs in their meager portions of food.

“From day one, it was hell,” said Jerry Blanton, a former monitor with the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, who was then tasked with inspecting Thompson Academy.

Conditions appeared so foul and perilous that he told his supervisors that he “emphatically recommended that the facility be closed,” according to a memo about the discussions.

What happened next speaks to how Youth Services International has managed to forge a lucrative business running private juvenile prisons in Florida and 15 other states even amid mounting evidence of abuse. The company used connections with state officials to complain that Blanton was intimidating staff. Less than a week later, the state removed him as monitor of the facility. Two months after that, he was fired.

Thompson remained open, and Youth Services International retained its contract to operate it. In the nine years since, the company has won an additional eight contracts in Florida, bringing 4,100 more youths through its facilities, according to state records. All the while, complaints of abuse and neglect have remained constant.

Florida leads the nation in placing state prisons in the hands of private, profit-making companies. In recent years, the state has privatized the entirety of its $183 million juvenile commitment system — the nation’s third-largest, trailing only California and Texas. Florida not only relies on private contractors to self-report escapes and incidents of violence and abuse, but the state’s Department of Juvenile Justice routinely awards contracts to private prison operators without scrutinizing their records, a Huffington Post investigation has found.

“We thought DJJ was going to be our biggest ally,” said Gordon Weekes, the chief juvenile public defender in Broward County, who has for years complained to the state about conditions inside two YSI prisons there. “They turned out to be the ally of the corporations, and the ally of the system.”

Florida’s permissive oversight has allowed Youth Services International to essentially game the system since entering the state more than a decade ago. Despite contractual requirements that the company report serious incidents at its facilities, YSI routinely fails to document problems, sanitizes those reports it does submit and pressures inmates to withhold evidence of mistreatment, according to interviews with 14 former YSI employees.

“The state is not doing enough,” said Wanda Williams, a former staffer at YSI’s Palm Beach Juvenile Correctional Facility, who quit in 2010 after growing disgusted with the violence and squalid conditions she saw inside the prison. “Because if they were, that place should have been shut down by now.”

Executives at YSI declined requests for interviews made over the last four months. In an emailed response to questions, Senior Vice President Jesse Williams said the company’s juvenile prisons are some of the best in Florida. He added that the state’s Department of Juvenile Justice rigorously inspects the facilities.

“The DJJ has a very meticulous monitoring system,” he said. “There are numerous announced and unannounced visits to each facility to check for quality assurance and contract compliance, and we do very well in our reviews.”

Williams denied that the company fails to report serious incidents to the state. “Our policy is to report everything,” he said. “In fact, we communicate to our employees that if there are any doubts about whether it is a reportable incident to go ahead and notify DJJ.”

Senior officials at the Department of Juvenile Justice declined interview requests. The agency refused to discuss specific details of HuffPost’s findings, though a spokeswoman issued a statement asserting the department is committed to ensuring that youth in its system “remain safe and are given every opportunity to thrive.” She said contract oversight is one of the agency’s top priorities.
    http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/p...rs-of-profit-2

The article is much longer than the snippet I've quoted here, so please follow the link and read it in it's entirety if you're interested.

She said contract oversight is one of the agency’s top priorities.
    This could have probably been phrased better.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      It's a really long article, but well worth a read if you still are not convinced that allowing the private sector into law enforcement/incarceration is a bad thing.

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/p...rs-of-profit-2

The article is much longer than the snippet I've quoted here, so please follow the link and read it in it's entirety if you're interested.
      Surely, as a Tory, you should be wholeheartedly in support of these...?
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Oh god, let's not get into the US trap of deciding what someone must believe by what party they might have voted for.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I am adamantly opposed to private companies being involved in law enforcement and prisons. It's a horrible, terrible idea that has proven time and again to fail badly leaving extremely vulnerable people exposed to shocking abuses, and introducing a whole new potential for corruption into the judicial system.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
            Oh god, let's not get into the US trap of deciding what someone must believe by what party they might have voted for.
            I must admit to being guilty of mildly pulling his leg. Kent seems like a good sort, for a tory...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Comment

I am adamantly opposed to private companies being involved in law enforcement and prisons. It's a horrible, terrible idea that has proven time and again to fail badly leaving extremely vulnerable people exposed to shocking abuses, and introducing a whole new potential for corruption into the judicial system.
                Like that judge found to be delivering prisoners/long sentences for kickbacks. Ouch.
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

It is well known that private prisons are terrible. I'm not sure you're going to get a lot of push back on this issue here. The problem is, they're prisoners, therefore they must have done something wrong, therefore no one gives a ****.

No one is going to win an election trumpeting this issue, so it will never change.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ensured by campaign contributions from private prison companies.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                      It is well known that private prisons are terrible. I'm not sure you're going to get a lot of push back on this issue here. The problem is, they're prisoners, therefore they must have done something wrong, therefore no one gives a ****.

No one is going to win an election trumpeting this issue, so it will never change.
                      I think it can change if the worst excesses are brought out into the light. It's what changed the old mental health facilities, when people had television images of the horrors appearing in their living rooms.

Comment

I think it can change if the worst excesses are brought out into the light. It's what changed the old mental health facilities, when people had television images of the horrors appearing in their living rooms.
                        Yes, but those were sick people, not bad people.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          Ensured by campaign contributions from private prison companies.
                          mmmmmmmhmmmmm. It seems you are a student of our glorious system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                            Yes, but those were sick people, not bad people.
                            True, but wasn't the general view back then that the mentally ill were best just locked away from 'normal, decent' folk? The other thing here is that we're talking about kids, not grown adults. Surely hearing about young teens being physically abused is enough to raise anyone's indignation, even if they are guilty of petty crimes?

Comment

When I read that article my first thought was bad oversight/corruption. That can happen in state run prisons also. It can be fixed, if there is the desire.
                              If we went and listed reported abuses in state run prisons, I'm sure it would be just as bad. I'm not supporting this situation. I'm just saying that contracting out is not necessarily bad. Proper oversight of outsourcing of anything needs to be a priority or the results will be unsatisfactory.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X