Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Else Find Watching Simpletons Discuss Technology To Be Oddly Reassuring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    I actually basically have no regrets from high school. I loved HS, and I got a lot out of it. But my situation was highly unusual.
    How so?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
      How so?
      I went to an extremely elite magnet (public, not private) school. I've mentioned it many times before...
      Anyway, most high schools don't have CNC plasma cutters, supercomputers, 3d printers, and electron microscopes. Mine did. Most high schools don't have classes on multivariable calculus and artificial intelligence. Mine did. Etc.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• How do you define extremely elite? Top 1, Top 5? Top 10? Top 20? Top 25? Top 50?

Comment

• According to US News, Top 1. At least all four years I was there. Dunno what we rank now, US News likes to play with the way it does rankings so they change year to year. It was pretty obvious by year four that they were bored with us, based on the article they wrote that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
            HC: Don't feel bad. High school is bullshit.

It eventually caught up with me, sort of. They knew I was behind it, but had no proof. The head dean called me in and berated me for about a half hour, trying to get me to confess. I played dumb and didn't give in. He called me a diabolical little ****.

I got taken out of the rest of my classes (this was March or April of my senior year). I only needed a PE and English credit to graduate. I was supposed to stay for 6 periods... lunch and study hall being my last two periods. I left and went home after 4th every day. Graduated. They were happy to be rid of me.
            If this is true you are amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              I went to an extremely elite magnet (public, not private) school. I've mentioned it many times before...
              Anyway, most high schools don't have CNC plasma cutters, supercomputers, 3d printers, and electron microscopes. Mine did. Most high schools don't have classes on multivariable calculus and artificial intelligence. Mine did. Etc.
              At my high school, our driver's ed "simulator" was a set of steering wheels hooked on to desks. We watched a filmstrip and had to turn left or right with the movie.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                If this is true you are amazing.
                No.

I was a smart kid and had a lot of horrible stuff happen to me. And instead of my various schools being helpful, they made it worse.

It's a miracle I'm still alive.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• You had driving classes at your high school?

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    You had driving classes at your high school?
                    Yes. Driver's ed.

Isn't that a standard thing?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Where I live people paid for private classes...? It only took a few weeks to get through them a get a learner's permit.

Comment

• My driver's ed teacher got a DUI in the last year. It was in the papers.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                          I don't care. They are driven by profits. No one here is claiming there's no money in it. They're claiming it's a dumb scheme where dumb educators are ripped off and pay millions for useless technology because they're -- wait for it -- simpletons. Please stop with the useless sidebars, thanks.
                          As an addendum to this, I particularly enjoyed the part where Asher pointed out that one of their biggest customers was the Pentagon, as if to point and say, "Hey look, it's good enough for the military! Do you think the US MILITARY would ever spend lots of money on completely worthless technology?"

Comment

• This didn't occur to me at the time, but I admire how invested Asher seems to be with his work.

I wish I had that.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• His sense of investment or just work?
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                His sense of investment or just work?
                                just work? no...

i want whatever it is that allows people to put up with going somewhere against their will for 10-12 hours a day
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X