Norwegian bigotry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian bigotry

A top division Norwegian ice-hockey player was forced to leave a game early on Sunday after he faced a chorus of racist abuse from supporters of the opposing team.

"I got called 'gypsy kid' and '****ing gyppo' throughout the match. It was pure racism," Tommy Kristiansen, a player for the Stavanger Oilers told Fredrikstad Blad.

Kristiansen walked off the ice before the game was finished, deciding that he would not allow himself to be abused on account of his background.

"They know that I come from a gypsy family, and invective rained down on me throughout the game. It's sad, hurtful, and it does not belong in Norwegian hockey," he told the paper.

Trond Magnussen, the chief executive of the opposing Stjernen team from Fredrikstad said he would to apologise in person to Kristiansen for the behaviour of his team's supporters.

"Racism has no place in either the Stjernen stadium or in Norwegian hockey," he said. "Supporters should concentrate on cheering on their own."

The National Hockey League in the US has had frequent problems with racism, with Wayne Simmonds, one player, having a banana thrown at them, and, and another Joel Ward, being called a '******' by fans of opposing teams over Twitter.
    A top division Norwegian ice-hockey player was forced to leave a game early on Sunday after he faced a chorus of racist abuse from supporters of the opposing team.

Norwegians are also well known liars.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

This is weird. If asked a few days ago, "which two poly posters will develop a new feud this week?" ... Sava vs Nikolai would never have even been thought of.

Comment

I'm as surprised as anyone. If I am wrong, I'm sorry. But I got this from sources I trust. I'd be glad to bury the hatchet, fwiw.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I want to applaud Sava on the proper use of the term "bigotry" and not "racism" as the article states. Gypsies are not a race ergo no racism could be applied. The term racist/racism is far too often improperly used these days.

Sava
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
          I want to applaud Sava on the proper use of the term "bigotry" and not "racism" as the article states. Gypsies are not a race ergo no racism could be applied. The term racist/racism is far too often improperly used these days.

Sava
          "Racism" applies to policies or supporters of policies that somehow discriminate against an ethnic group.

Yelling slurs isn't racism. It's bigotry. But that distinction doesn't make someone not a racist for doing it.

"Gypsies" are an ethnic group. The argument that x isn't a race is retarded. There's one race... the human race. Melanin count or eye shape isn't enough to separate darker skinned people from the rest of humanity. Those are arbitrary standards.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
            I'm as surprised as anyone. If I am wrong, I'm sorry. But I got this from sources I trust. I'd be glad to bury the hatchet, fwiw.
            That's all I wanted. Thanks
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

can we still pretend to have a problem... just for entertainment purposes?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  "Racism" applies to policies or supporters of policies that somehow discriminate against an ethnic group.

Yelling slurs isn't racism. It's bigotry. But that distinction doesn't make someone not a racist for doing it.

"Gypsies" are an ethnic group. The argument that x isn't a race is retarded. There's one race... the human race. Melanin count or eye shape isn't enough to separate darker skinned people from the rest of humanity. Those are arbitrary standards.
                  You had it right, I congratulated you. Then you had to mess it up.

Racism is a a subset of of bigotry that deals specifically with race. The ethnic/religious/social group stuff is outside the boundaries of racism but fully within the sphere of bigotry. Doesn't make it better or worse just not the same as.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                    You had it right, I congratulated you. Then you had to mess it up.

Racism is a a subset of of bigotry that deals specifically with race. The ethnic/religious/social group stuff is outside the boundaries of racism but fully within the sphere of bigotry. Doesn't make it better or worse just not the same as.
                    Nope.

You should learn what words mean.

Your idiotic opinion doesn't change them.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

can we still pretend to have a problem... just for entertainment purposes?
                      I hate you.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yo mama likes AAHZ.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Nope.

You should learn what words mean.

Your idiotic opinion doesn't change them.
                              I typically defer to the dictionary when discussing words meanings. Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X