Creationists on Texas Panel for Biology Textbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creationists on Texas Panel for Biology Textbooks

This could get interesting with Rick Perry's appointee making the final decision. The statement by the Biology professor is perfect.

AUSTIN, Tex. — One is a nutritionist who believes “creation science” based on
    biblical principles should be taught in the classroom. Another is a chemical
    engineer who is listed as a “Darwin Skeptic” on the Web site of the Creation
    Science Hall of Fame
    . A third is a trained biologist who also happens
    to be a fellow of the Discovery Institute, the Seattle-based center of the
    intelligent-design movement and a vice president at an evangelical ministry in
    Plano, Tex.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........................
    At the public hearing this month, Michael Singer, a biology professor at the University of Texas who teaches courses to nonscience majors, said his students were often nervous about learning evolution. “I tell them that the Book of Job says that their faith will be tested,” he said. “You don’t need faith to believe what the evidence suggests. You need faith to believe what the evidence doesn’t suggest.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/ed...anted=all&_r=0
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Family Guy got it right.

And people wonder why the Jesusland map was made.

And just because I can.

Comment

You aren't helping.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The other day, I was in a high school library. They had "The Descent of Man" on a shelf, and then "Defeating Darwinism" a few feet down from it. For, uh, balance, I guess. Perhaps they were spaced apart that way to keep them from fighting?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sadly, there are seven states which want to teach religious creationism in science classrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
              I was thinking about that just last night.

Without an uncreated creator somewhere down the line, how does any universe origin not end up as "turtles all the way down"?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Negative conclusion from affirmative premises.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  I was thinking about that just last night.

Without an uncreated creator somewhere down the line, how does any universe origin not end up as "turtles all the way down"?
                  Easily. There's no particular reason why logic should apply to anything "outside" the universe, so there's no particular reason why the universe's creation requires any rules that make sense to us (or any rules at all).
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Which form of logic are you using there?

Also how do you consider a priori knowledge?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      Which form of logic are you using there?
                      Err, any kind will do. The point is that what we consider possible and impossible is grounded very much in the realities of the universe. But if there exists some place in which the physical laws we're used to don't apply, then there's no reason that anything we're familiar with should apply. So sure, maybe the universe doesn't need a creator because apple cheese monkey pies. It doesn't have to make sense, because making sense only has meaning within the confines of the universe.

Also how do you consider a priori knowledge?
                      What most people consider to be a priori knowledge is nothing more than confirmation bias expressed through tautologies.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        Wrong # of elephants
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

For a moment there I misread the title as: "Creationists on Texas Panel for Bigotry Textbooks"
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Wrong # of elephants
                            You can't see them behind the other elephants.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              Err, any kind will do. The point is that what we consider possible and impossible is grounded very much in the realities of the universe. But if there exists some place in which the physical laws we're used to don't apply, then there's no reason that anything we're familiar with should apply. So sure, maybe the universe doesn't need a creator because apple cheese monkey pies. It doesn't have to make sense, because making sense only has meaning within the confines of the universe.
                              I have a similar objection to the "fine-tuning" argument.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X