Top 10-20 MBA: Pros, Cons etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10-20 MBA: Pros, Cons etc.

sup, it's great being here and I certainly missed you guys - but I have a LOT going on in my life right now, and I am rather busy.

For one thing, I am in the midst of preparations to apply to a top-tier MBA program in the US.

And I want you guys to share some of your insights with me on that kind of thing. Do you have an MBA from a top rated university? do you know people that have those? how did it affect your/their career?

Really looking for anecdotal stories and personal opinions on the subject.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Az; September 23, 2013, 07:05.
    urgh.NSFW

My mom got an MBA when she was 40. Her pay has increased almost on a yearly basis. She gets call from recruiters all the time... most recently for a CEO spot.

The MBA is one part of it. You also need experience in a particular industry. Also, it's hard work. 50-60 hours a week. You need to be smart, competent, hard working... and avoid office politics. Some of your bosses will be incompetent jags (as with any and every job). If you produce, you will be rewarded. Be patient. If you want to climb the ladder, keep that goal in mind. You may get stuck for a few years. Just keep your head down, your nose clean... the cream rises to the top.

Do you have experience in a particular industry or field?

also... post more
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
      My mom got an MBA when she was 40. Her pay has increased almost on a yearly basis.
      Mine, too, and I'm a schmuck with half a college degree.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I have one friend who got an MBA from Harvard (he already had a master's in EE and now he works for a venture capital firm in SF) and another friend who got an MBA from Northwestern (he works in finance in NYC).
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sava: I work international tech b2b sales. However, from what I see from the people who took a top MBA program in the states from Israel, have actually all gone switching careers, usually to Consulting/IB/PE/VC. So I am not sure this applies. I am personally interested in Finance especially project finance and PE, and General management.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          I have one friend who got an MBA from Harvard (he already had a master's in EE and now he works for a venture capital firm in SF) and another friend who got an MBA from Northwestern (he works in finance in NYC).
          Yes, this is very interesting - Kellogg and Harvard GSB are two of the places that I am applying to - please go on.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Put my wife through Wharton Class of '95. (was ranked best business school in America at the time.)

We had a near miss, she had an offer to work trading at Enron but I talked her out of it. She was pissed at me at the time since she always had an interest in FX trading or some other kind of trading. She instead went the Financial Analyst company management route which would have not happened if not for the MBA.

That being said an MBA unless from a school with reputation is not that meaningful. Of the schools mentioned Kellogg was strong at least back in the 90's for marketing. Wharton and Stanford were the undeniable tops for Finance. Harvard for all its prestige is actually pretty ordinary (or at least was).

Probably the biggest intangible as to why choose a top tier MBA school is not the actual learning but more the network of grads and Alumni. Which is why a number of people still look at Harvard.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
            X