Hockey question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey question

I'v been watching a few taped games with some friends........
    My question, is there a strategy to the fighting?......as to getting a player expelled from the game?
    Why does the game time stop while the players are fighting?

TY

The point of fighting is to win. The players will say that it provides a "spark" to the team. I've played hockey for a long time. I've watched hockey for a long time. Fighting is pointless. It's fun to watch. But it's very meaningless.

Strategy-wise, in the NHL they have the instigator penalty... meaning, if you blatantly start a fight, you get an extra penalty. Some teams try to exploit that, I think. But I'm not aware of any statistical study or anything that has shown a team to have done so.

Basically, it's for the fans. Look! People punching! FIGHT!!!

That's about it.

The game stops because... well... people are fighting.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Mostly fighting is done by designated guys who are annoying and burly who try to piss off someone more useful to the other side (both players get a 5 minute penalty).
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I was wondering why a player doesn't make a goal while everyone's attention is watching the fight.

Comment

Action stops when the ref or linesman whistles. They blow the whistle as soon as a hit is delivered.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Odd game but interesting to watch.

Comment

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

hmmm
              didn't turn into a video
              but it's worth the click
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                I'v been watching a few taped games with some friends........
                My question, is there a strategy to the fighting?

Yes. To get your team fired up when they are slumping, or to send a message when the opposing team is taking liberties with skilled players (when they try to fvck your better players up, you directly fvck them up).

......as to getting a player expelled from the game?
                No.

Why does the game time stop while the players are fighting?

Because the play is called when the gloves come off.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

In two words, fighting in hockey is about protection and inspiration.

Many Americans don't understand this.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                    In two words, fighting in hockey is about protection and inspiration.
                    This may have applied 40 years ago... not today.

And inspiration... really? Do you seriously think NHL players just aren't trying but then HOLY **** A FIGHT YEAH I THINK I WILL SCORE A GOAL NOW

It's such bull****.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

No. It is not, and you can join the Euros is not understanding what the game is about at a fundamental level.

Enjoy your stick work.

DFG, stick work is what the Euros, and some Yanks, do when fighting is removed as an option. The sticks get used as weapons.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

I've played hockey for 20 years. Fighting isn't necessary. Fighting doesn't inspire. Fighting doesn't protect. It's just two goons punching each other.

Fun to watch... but pointless.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          I've played hockey for 20 years. Fighting isn't necessary. Fighting doesn't inspire. Fighting doesn't protect. It's just two goons punching each other.

Fun to watch... but pointless.
                          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                            Yes. To get your team fired up when they are slumping, or to send a message when the opposing team is taking liberties with skilled players (when they try to fvck your better players up, you directly fvck them up).

No.

Because the play is called when the gloves come off.

Thank You

Comment

Working...
                            X