Pope sends direct message to Ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Elizabeth was never Queen in her own right, and never heir apparent, as Mary Queen of Scots was. This is a significant difference between Queen consort and Queen.
    Mary Stuart, as I've clearly pointed out, was not and could not be, Elizabeth Tudor's 'heir apparent'. You're simply to illiterate to understand that.

James I & VI referred to Mary Stuart as 'Queen-Mother' - which was the point I was making, nothing about Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon being an heir to the throne in her own right.

And yet you still can't choke out 'heir apparent' to the throne of England.
    Still not understanding English. No shock there.

Catherine was still alive - making Anne his mistress and Elizabeth his bastard.
    No. She and Henry were divorced or Cranmer annulled the marriage- whichever way you want to look at it. Elizabeth was born to Anne Boleyn when she was married to Henry. Oh, and the Anglo-Saxons didn't mind illegitimate children inheriting the throne, by the way- so long as they proved good rulers.

She did. She executed her own cousin - Mary Queen of Scots.
    Mary Stuart was no longer ruler of Scotland, and no longer 'Queen of Scots' . Her son was the legal ruler from 1567, making it twenty years by the time of her execution that she had been a ruler of anywhere. As I've pointed out, he referred to her as the 'Queen-Mother' and refused to share sovereignty over Scotland with her.

THIS MEANS SHE WAS NO LONGER A RULER.

GET THAT FACT FIXED IN THE DULL LUSTRELESS JELLY THAT PASSES FOR YOUR BRAIN, AND STOP REPEATING NONSENSE THAT I'VE ALREADY CORRECTED MORE THAN ONCE.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Does it change the fact that she was Mary Queen of Scots? No, not at all.
      'Had been', not 'was' . Clearly they didn't teach the use of different English tenses at whichever schools were unfortunate to be saddled with your presence.

As I've pointed out, she was now the Queen Mother, no longer the Queen, and certainly not a ruler.

Do you understand the term 'heir apparent'?
      As should be obvious, yes.

You, splendidly obviously, do not.

Mary, Queen of Scots was Elizabeth's nearest royal relative.
      The site was clearly referring to James's ascension to the throne of England, after Mary Stuart's death. Given that on Elizabeth Tudor's death his mother was no longer alive, James was indeed Elizabeth's nearest royal relative.

AND AS I'VE POINTED OUT MORE THAN ONCE, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE TERM HEIR APPARENT. SO STOP USING IT, BLOCKHEAD.

This isn't a difficult concept.
      For someone who has trouble coping with simple English words such as 'ruler', simple historical facts such as the date of origin of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the meaning of 'heir apparent', I'd suggest you desist from trying to define what is or is not a 'difficult' concept.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Built the first drydock at Portsmouth in 1495. Launched the Cabot expedition, supported the expansion of the navy throughout his reign. Henry VIII simply carried on what he started.
        When you're directly copying and partially quoting what appears on the Royal Navy Musuem's website, isn't it at least courteous and honest to acknowledge this ? I suppose we can add this to your sin of pride. Your priest should be getting an earful at your next confession.

Henry VIII had ships built which had improved sea-worthiness and armaments, and in 1514, the Henry Grace a Dieu, the largest warship in the world, was launched. It was the first ship with heavy guns, and this led to an end of archers firing on ships and hand to hand fighting, and so developed a new technique of sea warfare. In the same year Trinity House was inaugurated to develop navigational aids such as lighthouses, buoys and beacons, the latter being used to signal the invasion of the Spanish Armada in 1588. In 1540, Henry built the first naval dock in Britain at Portsmouth, and in 1546 he established the Navy Board, which remained almost unchanged for 300 years, and created the Office of Admiralty, which set up the administrative machinery for the control of the fleet. For his achievements Henry VIII was known as the “Father of the English Navy”. From the Tudor period, England produced many eminent naval officers.

The part you copied :

The Tudor period was the great age of discovery and the beginning of world expansion. In 1495 Henry VII built the first dry dock at Portsmouth. Henry VIII inherited seven warships from his father, which he increased to twenty-four in the early part of his reign

Comment

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Is Ben just a brilliant troll or is he really that stupid and blind to his own prejudices? I really can't make up my mind.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

• He's not brilliant at anything, so I'm going with "that stupid"
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  Is Ben just a brilliant troll or is he really that stupid and blind to his own prejudices? I really can't make up my mind.
                  I don't mind the religious and political bigotry, but it's the sheer stupid snobbery of proudly announcing his history degree credentials and then proceeding to mock my education- which other than what he's gleaned from me, he knows nothing about- all the while demonstrating on a Cecil B. Demented scale his innate inability to understand simple concepts of English language, grammar and European history that are basic at pre-secondary school level.

I'd like to feel pity, but his obdurate refusal to comprehend the copious and cogent corrections to his many and varied errors and his eager willingness to post the same erroneous tripe over and over again becomes slightly tiresome.

Hence the use of capital letters. I figured perhaps it was poor eyesight.

Comment

• Oh Jeez, is Ben the Pinball Wizard?!! I mean he's deaf and apparently blind. He's certainly dumb, but not the exact way as listed in the song itself...
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The repeated use of "I have a History Degree and you don't which makes anything I say more credible" is always the most hilarious. Especially when he's guessing about the education of those he's trying to cow with his degree.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                        The repeated use of "I have a History Degree and you don't which makes anything I say more credible" is always the most hilarious. Especially when he's guessing about the education of those he's trying to cow with his degree.
                        Especially funny because pride is a sin.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I've got a degree in Astrophysics. I think the main point of an undergraduate degree is to give you an insight into how much there is to know, and little you know about a subject.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

• A driven, enthusiastic amateur will know more than an average degree student. IMO.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              I've got a degree in Astrophysics. I think the main point of an undergraduate degree is to give you an insight into how much there is to know, and little you know about a subject.
                              Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              A driven, enthusiastic amateur will know more than an average degree student. IMO.
                              This depends wildly on the subject. Even a driven, enthusiastic amateur is unlikely to know more than someone with a BS in electrical engineering about his subject.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Why? The information you learn at undergraduate level is not exactly out of the reach of an amateur with an internet connection.

Comment

Working...
                                X