36 Years Ago today - The Grand Tour began

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 Years Ago today - The Grand Tour began

36 years ago today Voyager II was launched on what was billed as a Grand Tour of the Outer Solar System.

Voyager II is over 15,000,000,000 km from the Sun and its twin Voyager I (launched second) is over 18,000,000,000 km from the sun.

Both have yet to leave the Solar System.

Will they mark the beginning of man's foray into deep space or will they be a historical anomaly?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
    Both have yet to leave the Solar System.
    wrongo

According to the team, Voyager is in the interstellar arctic and traveling through the cosmic slush. They claim that their model accounts for the shift in charged particle counts and why the magnetic field in the vicinity of Voyager hasn't changed. By their reckoning, Voyager 1 left the Solar System on July 27, 2012.

In response to this claim, NASA's Voyager project scientist, Ed Stone of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena issued this statement:

"Details of a new model have just been published that lead the scientists who created the model to argue that NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft data can be consistent with entering interstellar space in 2012. In describing on a fine scale how magnetic field lines from the sun and magnetic field lines from interstellar space can connect to each other, they conclude Voyager 1 has been detecting the interstellar magnetic field since July 27, 2012. Their model would mean that the interstellar magnetic field direction is the same as that which originates from our sun.
    Sometimes it seems as though the Voyager 1 space probe is like a dog that can’t decide if it wants to be inside or out. A team of scientists led by the University of Maryland claim that the Voyager 1 space probe, which is now 11 billion miles (18 billion km) from Earth left the Solar System’s…
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Very Interesting. I had always thought the interstellar magnetic field was at right angle to the solar magnetic field.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

That quote...

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I liked the other thrade Better.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
            wrongo
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Bingo.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                Will they mark the beginning of man's foray into deep space or will they be a historical anomaly?
                The second one. Or else option C: other countries will send off their own probes as they develop space flight, but none of them will come to anything.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  Bingo.
                  If only you had gotten here earlier.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                  X