Comcast already giving up on CAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast already giving up on CAS

And perhaps has a not-totally-unreasonable solution? Popup ads for legally purchasing pirated movies seems like a fair trade (although it still implies content sniffing). In particular, it seems likely to only affect the casual pirates who actually might want to buy things - it's not like Sava doesn't have a popup blocker and (likely) technology to avoid content sniffers.

Comcast is developing a new scheme to combat digital piracy in the United States, according to a new report from Variety. The country’s largest cable operator “has begun preliminary discussions with both film and TV studios and other leading Internet service providers about employing technology, according to sources, that would provide offending users with transactional opportunities to access legal versions of copyright-infringing videos as they’re being downloaded.”

Comcast declined Ars’ request for comment.

Variety also reported that in “the new system, a consumer illegally downloading a film or movie from a peer-to-peer system like BitTorrent would be quickly pushed a pop-up message with links to purchase or rent the same content, whether the title in question exists on the [video-on-demand] library of a participating distributor’s own broadband network or on a third-party seller like Amazon.”

Comcast, unlike most of its other ISP competitors, also owns vast media holdings. The company's assets include Universal Pictures, NBC, and other cable TV channels—so Comcast could stand to directly benefit from pushing its customers to buy its own products.

"Obviously, giving people accessible, affordable alternatives to illegal downloading will reduce infringement," Sherwin Siy, the vice president of legal affairs at Public Knowledge, told Ars. "But complaining that the CAS [Copyright Alert System, aka the "Six Strikes" rule] doesn't lead right to an online store probably isn't the real problem. Or if it is, new problems are raised, such as, whose store and whose content? Comcast has the distinct advantage of being one of the biggest ISPs and simultaneously a massive content producer."

"All of the same questions that have applied to CAS as it got underway apply here, and now a few more: what's the buy-in among other ISPs?" he added. "Other copyright holders, big and small? What role and voice will consumers have in this process? And if there's a financial transaction built in to this system, how do you prevent it from incentivizing false positives or even from becoming a form of blackmail? All of those questions need to be answered before this gets underway, otherwise it could look like you're using the trappings of the law to market your services."

Technical details of the proposed unnamed scheme were not disclosed. The cable giant, along with five other major American ISPs, began using the CAS in February 2013. The Center for Copyright Information, the group behind CAS, has yet to reveal any data since its implementation.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

There are people who still don't block pop up ads?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"Grandmothers".
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        There are people who still don't block pop up ads?
        Clicking them away as fast as onecan keep one's reflexes sharp.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

More reason to download Game of Thrones. No popups.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's my take too. People are willing to pay for it but it better be a ****ing good deal, as in almost free for unlimited use, or they need to offer special stuff like extras if they want people to pay more than a dollar or two because anything higher and people will just download it. This days of trying to charge $60 for a blu-ray are over and they can either be happy with a smaller margin or they can die due to a failure to adapt. I'm ok either way.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I like pop up ads
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                And perhaps has a not-totally-unreasonable solution?
                So let me get this straight. In your world, an ISP spying on your internet activity is okay... but god forbid I download a movie.

That's the real evil here. Right?

Seriously. I'm finding it hard not to call you a moron right now.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                X