Jay-Z might actually be pretty awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay-Z might actually be pretty awesome

Just saw the short film/video Picasso Baby debut on HBO. It's just ten minutes.

It was based on this performance:

I am shocked at how impressed I was. Shawn Carter may just be all that.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Why?

Because he rapped the same song for 6 hours?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Rap
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

This is the post-Kanye West era of hip hop. Rappers are bourgeois bohemians more at home at the art galleries and film festivals than the street corners. *****es and Hoes have been replaced by Basquiat and Rothko.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Strangely enough, I'm actually okay with rap having less to do with street thugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Strangely enough, I'm actually okay with rap having less to do with street thugs.
            It's not really new. There's always been a 'nerd' rap counter-culture to gangster rap which emerged out of the very much mainstream De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, etc. of the 80's and early 90's.

Around 2003, Kanye West brought it back to the fore-front, with his backpack, collegiate references, and not a trace of guns and drugs. Say what you want about Kanye West and his antics but the man revolutionized mainstream rap for the better. All the criticism against rap seems about two decades outdated. Yes, there's plenty of ****ty songs, as with every genre, but gangsterism has been replaced by something entirely different.

I mean this is the #3 rap song in the country, a gay rights anthem!

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's all ****ing terrible anyway, I just have a preference to cultural icons not advocating misogyny, truancy, drugs, and violent crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                It's all ****ing terrible anyway
                What do you know about art anyway?

Comment

Virginia has more art per strip mall than any other state starting with the letter V. Dick.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Jay-Z is one of the few mega-rich rappers that keeps it real, unlike P-Diddy and Kanye who are all about Bling.
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Virginia has more art per strip mall than any other state starting with the letter V. Dick.
                      Um, what? When did this become about Virginia? Or strip malls?

In any case, it's not like Vermont is terribly hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                      X