Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of making a tabletop trpg and wanted some advice on rulebook planning/conceptual linking software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of making a tabletop trpg and wanted some advice on rulebook planning/conceptual linking software

I'm starting to sit down and write a rulebook and playtest the game I've been mulling over in my head. Basically I am using microsoft word and outlining ideas and branches and stuff but its becoming apparent I need a quick way to get to where I want to go in the rulebook. I need to create index references on the fly and need a sketch pad for ideas (not a literal sketchpad mind you, just a place to put ideas and cross them off as i try them without it being set in stone). Is this possible in word?

thanks.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

lol.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Use latex
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
        I'm starting to sit down and write a rulebook and playtest the game I've been mulling over in my head. Basically I am using microsoft word and outlining ideas and branches and stuff but its becoming apparent I need a quick way to get to where I want to go in the rulebook. I need to create index references on the fly and need a sketch pad for ideas (not a literal sketchpad mind you, just a place to put ideas and cross them off as i try them without it being set in stone). Is this possible in word?

thanks.
        I think MS Office Visio can be used to make the sort of diagrams you want, but I haven't used it myself before.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Use latex
          LaTeX
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

bareback
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Best of luck but sales of table top RPGs seem to be going down as the internet generation mostly seems to want to play MMOGs and, let's face, that are millions of nerds out there who all have dreamed of doing this but precise few who have actually successfully published. Still, digital publishing and mico publishing does now make it cheaper than ever to get into the publishing business and find customers so there is hope. Everyone should have a dream where they roll the dice and try to make it big and this might be your chance. Best of luck too you, young man.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

. I need to create index references on the fly ... Is this possible in word?

thanks.
                Yes. Google Word Index.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

There's a program called Articy Draft that would probably help you quite a bit. I believe they do a trial version. It's like Visio but tailored for game design, and has some quite nice additional features.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    Best of luck but sales of table top RPGs seem to be going down as the internet generation mostly seems to want to play MMOGs and, let's face, that are millions of nerds out there who all have dreamed of doing this but precise few who have actually successfully published. Still, digital publishing and mico publishing does now make it cheaper than ever to get into the publishing business and find customers so there is hope. Everyone should have a dream where they roll the dice and try to make it big and this might be your chance. Best of luck too you, young man.
                    For those that dont program, tabletop is their domain. Although this might be a great time to self teach. I realize that there are some meta concepts where you need a 3rd party to keep players honest on secret or esoteric info.
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

For those that dont program, tabletop is their domain. Although this might be a great time to self teach. I realize that there are some meta concepts where you need a 3rd party to keep players honest on secret or esoteric info.
                      Also this is a passion project so financial success is like a 4th tier consideration.

Comment

thanks.
                        What about using Word in the outline view for some of the material?
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

When writing novels, a lot of my writer friends use a piece of software called Scrivener. It does what I think you want to do.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            When writing novels, a lot of my writer friends use a piece of software called Scrivener. It does what I think you want to do.
                            Hey, thanks. I went to google this software, and it looks amazing. I might buy a copy at some point.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                            X