Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Return to the Age of Sail?

Clippers may return to cut transport costs

Clippers were the mainstay of the merchant fleet in the mid-19th century, splendid three-mast sailing ships carrying goods across the seas until the advent of steam made them obsolete.

Now, 150 years after their heyday, clippers are set for a comeback as an eco-friendly and – in the age of soaring fuel prices – cost-effective way of transporting cargo.

Belfast-based B9 Shipping is working on a 21st-century version of the clipper, complete with three masts backed up with a Rolls Royce engine, fuelled by liquified natural gas.

According to the company the ships – which could be dubbed Cutty Sark meets the Toyota Prius – are commercially viable and construction could start within three years.

They are competitive with conventional oil-powered ships over a range of around 1,000 miles and there are hopes that they could even be used on longer transatlantic runs as well.

The maritime industry accounts for 3pc of global carbon emissions and is under mounting pressure to cut them.

About 90pc of the world’s shipping is powered by heavy oil known as bunker fuel, which is cheap but so dirty that it is claimed to threaten human health in coastal areas.

In November 2011 the UK’s Committee on Climate Change called on the industry to return to wind power as a greener way of carrying goods. Its interest was triggered by a five-year study carried out by the Technical University of Berlin which found ships using windpower achieved energy savings as high as 44pc.

The Committee backed the idea as part of a package aimed at cutting shipping’s emissions by 80pc by 2050.
    Shipping could be included in a carbon trading scheme, which would effectively impose a levy on fuel.

The B9 prototype show three large rectangular sails which could be controlled from the bridge of the ship, meaning that crew levels could stay about the same as for conventional vessels.

B9, which is still seeking commercial backers, has said as many as 10,000 vessels could be replaced by its “green alternative”.

The design envisages 100-metre long ships with 60pc of the thrust coming from the three sails and the rest coming from the Rolls Royce engines which will be carbon neutral.

Tests have been carried out at Southampton University and, according to Diane Gilpin, B9’s project director, discussions have been held with the Met Office over potential routes.

“We hope the ships will be built in Britain,” she said. “We have been talking to Harland and Wolff in Belfast as well as Cammell Laird in Liverpool.”
    What a great initiative! Proof there is hope for the future if we simply use our imaginations...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Is this like the zeppelins that have been advertised to make their comeback for 2 decades?
    Last edited by Colonâ„¢; July 15, 2013, 07:27.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Let's have them as well! Ahead full steampunk...

Comment

If they worked like the ones in Diamond Age, by pumping out all gases so you have just this huge bubble of vacuum, I bet they'd be fuel-efficiency contenders.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Steel Hull?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            If they worked like the ones in Diamond Age, by pumping out all gases so you have just this huge bubble of vacuum, I bet they'd be fuel-efficiency contenders.
            Neal Stephenson!

Comment

Everything is moved in standardized shipping containers now so if they really want to have a sail powered cargo ship they'd have to figure out a way to accommodate the shipping containers.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's not difficult, seeing as they already know the dimensions of the containers...

Comment

I hate terms like "eco-friendly". It should be "human-friendly". The environment is going to be here long after we make it inhospitable to human life.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Interesting idea, but it'd seem to require a whole different approach to navigating when they have to actually sail by the wind again after all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      I hate terms like "eco-friendly". It should be "human-friendly". The environment is going to be here long after we make it inhospitable to human life.

We're so incredibly arrogant as a species, aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                        That's not difficult, seeing as they already know the dimensions of the containers...
                        I'm just saying the picture looks like a 19th century ship made from modern materials and it won't get to ship much cargo without some sort of accommodation for shipping containers and the cranes which move them.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          Interesting idea, but it'd seem to require a whole different approach to navigating when they have to actually sail by the wind again after all this time.
                          Just a healthy dose of adaptability. That thing we humans are renowned for.

Not to mention that it also has engines...

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                            Just a healthy dose of adaptability. That thing we humans are renowned for.

Not to mention that it also has engines...
                            Yeah but you'd still need to be constantly navigating to the wind whenever you had your sails up, you couldn't just half an half it. If you tried there's a fair chance you'd end up rolling it, especially if it was top heavy with shipping containers.

I'm sure the wonders of modern technology can help with a lot of it, but there's some basic sailing principles in there that you can't really avoid.

Comment

I don't particularly remember there being no go areas for sailing ships in days gone by. If the worst comes to the worst, you can tack against the wind. Failing that, limit their routes to places that can take the best advantage of the prevailing wind conditions. They didn't call them 'trade winds' for nothing you know...

Comment

Working...
                              X